Developing sustainable, peaceful and creative cities through culture and dialogue
The year 2010 is celebrated as the International Year for the Rapprochement of Cultures. The goal of the International Year consists in making the rapprochement of cultures the hallmark of all policy-making at local, national, regional and international levels, involving the greatest number of relevant stakeholders.
Entrusted with the mandate to contribute to build "the defences of peace in the minds of men" thanks to international cooperation in the fields of its competence, namely through education, sciences, culture and communication, UNESCO is designated to play a leading role for the celebration of the Year within the United Nations system. In fact, over the years and indeed in the past decade, the Organization has gained special experience and has won recognition through its efforts to demonstrate the beneficial effects of cultural diversity highlighting the importance of borrowings, transfers and exchanges between cultures.
Friday, 21 May 2010
Activities to include:
- Video “Places of Wonder and Discovery” from OUR PLACE WORLD HERITAGE
- Lunch hosted by Sichuan Pavilion to celebrate the Chengdu Creative city of Gastronomy
- Workshop with Shanghai ASPnet school children and Irina Bokova, Director-General of UNESCO on climate change and girl's education
- Launch by the Director-General of the of the UNESCO World Report: Investing in Cultural Diversity and Intercultural Dialogue, 2009
- High-level dialogue by the Director-General of UNESCO with Mr. Yu Qiuyu on the subject of: 'Towards Culturally Diverse and Sustainable Cities and Societies' organized by Jiefang Daily
- Craft demonstrations by Chinese crafts people demonstrating the cultural diversity of craftmanship and handicrafts of China, organized by the Chinese Arts and Handicraft Association on 21 and 22 May. Handicrafts demonstrated: embroidery, dough figurines, fan painting