UNESCO International José Martí Prize - Members of the Jury
In October 2012, UNESCO Director-General Ms Irina Bokova appointed the new five-headed Jury of the Prize, for a six-year term of office (2012-2018). The jury members are prestigious figures from three regions, closely related to the ideals of José Martí:
- H.E. Mr. Pedro de Verona Rodrigues Pires, former President Cape Verde, winner of the 2011 Mo Ibrahim Prize for Achievement in African Leadership; holder of the “José Martí Order”, the highest Cuban distinction.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Prof. (Ms) Suzy Castor, Haïti, intellectual and historian, founder of the Journal Rencontres and founder of CRESFED (Centre de recherche et de formation économique et sociale pour le développement, Haïti).
- Dr Armando Hart Dávalos, Cuba, former Minister of Education, former Minister of Culture, Director, Oficina del Programa Martiano.
North America/Western Europe
- Prof. (Ms) Anne Fountain, United States of America, World Languages and Literatures, San José State University, California; renowned English translator of José Martí’s poetry.
- Mr Ignacio Ramonet, Spain and France, intellectual, writer, journalist, former director of Le Monde diplomatique, founder of ATTAC; co-founder of the World Social Forum of Porto Alegre; president of Association Mémoire des Luttes.