8th Ordinary Session of COMEST, Bratislava, Slovakia, 27-29 May 2013
The eighth Ordinary Session of COMEST was held from 27 to 29 May 2013, in Bratislava, Slovakia. It was the first session of COMEST to meet in Central Europe.
Key areas that were discussed:
- Ethics in relation to climate change – the report “Background for a Framework of Ethical Principles and Responsibilities for Climate Change Policies” was finalized to provide analytical background for a Framework of Ethical Principles and Responsibilities for Climate Change Adaptation which was adopted at the seventh Ordinary Session of COMEST.
- Upon request of the Executive Board of UNESCO at its 190th session (190 EX/Decisions 10), COMEST discussed how to proceed its background work towards a framework of ethical principles for climate change which would be available for the consideration of UNESCO in 2015.
- Science ethics – the report “Ethical Issues in Science Governance and the Science-Society Relationship” was finalized and the revision of the 1974 Recommendation on the Status of Scientific Researchers discussed following the decision of the Executive Board of UNESCO in April 2013.
- Ethics of converging technologies; and ethical approaches to science, technology and innovation for development.
- COMEST also reviewed activities implemented in 2012 and early 2013 and adopted a horizon for work in 2014 and beyond, taking account of UNESCO’s strategic objectives as reflected in the draft 37C/4 and 37C/5.
After the eighth Ordinary Session, COMEST, in conjunction with the Slovak National Commission for UNESCO, organized a conference on Emerging Ethical Issues in Science and Technology, from 30 to 31 May 2013, in order to reflect on state-of-the art issues in the field inviting local experts and international agencies.
- Background for a framework of ethical principles and responsibilities for climate change adaptation, Final Report [PDF]
- Summary Report of the Proceedings of the 8th Ordinary Session [PDF]
- Draft Agenda [PDF]
- Background for a Framework of Ethical Principles and Responsibilities for Climate Change Policies [revision n° 5; PDF]
- Ethical and societal challenges of the information society [PDF]
- Ethical issues in science governance and the science-society relationship [PDF]
- Draft Action Plan (2013-2015) to Follow Up the Decision of the Executive Board on the Desirability of Preparing a Declaration of Ethical Principles in Relation to Climate Change (190 EX/ Decision 10) [PDF]
- Preliminary study on the technical and legal aspects relating to the desirability of revising the 1974 Recommendation on the Status of Scientific Researchers [PDF]
- Towards Knowledge Societies for Peace and Sustainable Development. First WSIS+10 Review Event. Final Recommendations [PDF]
- In Perspective: Modernising science's social code by David Dickson, in SciDev.Net – the Science and Development Network
- “Globalization of economy and rapid scientific progress raise new challenges” – interview with Mr Ľudovít Molnár, President of the Slovak Commission for UNESCO
- Summary report, International Conference on Emerging Ethical Issues in Science and Technology, Bratislava, Slovakia, 30-31 May 2013 [PDF]
- Presentations, International Conference on Emerging Ethical Issues in Science and Technology, Bratislava, Slovakia, 30-31 May 2013 [PDF]
- Global Meeting of Experts on the Ethical Aspects of Information Society, Riga, Latvia, 16-17 October 2013
- Report to COMEST of the Workshop on Ethics of Modern Robotics in Surveillance, Policing and Warfare (University of Birmingham, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, 20-22 March 2013) at the session on "Converging Technologies", co-organized by COMEST and the Pugwash Conference on Science and World Affairs on 29 May, Bratislava, Slovakia [PDF]
- Interviews with participants and articles in the press [PDF]