Projects by Region - Asia and the Pacific
- Afghanistan - Afghanistan Demain homes for orphans and street children
In Kabul, UNESCO assisted the French NGO, ‘Afghanistan Demain’ in constructing and running homes for orphans and abandoned vagrant children and providing basic educational services.
- China - Aids Orphans Salvation Association of Fuyang (AOS)
This association currently assists 387 AIDS orphans and their families providing them with financial, nutritional, medical and social support.
- China – Education for Migrant Children
This project aims to provide education for low-income, migrant children suffering from poverty and discrimination.
- India – Education for Tibetan Refugee Children
Various projects aim to promote the cultural and linguistic identity of Tibetan refugee children through tailor-made education materials and facilities.
- India – Post-tsunami assistance
The fishing villages of the south east coast of India devastated by the Tsunami were given special support by UNESCO, with an emphasis on benefitting children and unemployed youths.
- India – Project Mala Charitable Trust, UK
The NGO Project Mala provides elementary education for rural children engaged in carpet weaving activities in five schools.
- Mongolia - Support to the Temuulel Street Children Project
In 2003, UNESCO gave its support to the Oyuntulkhuur Foundation which shelters orphans and street children in a care centre and offers them a way forward through education and income-generation.
- Pakistan – Earthquake relief with “Help and Hope”
With the active support of the German foundation “Help and Hope”, UNESCO provided survival assistance to hundreds of families shortly after the devastating earthquake that hit the Pakistani regions of Kashmir.
- Pakistan – Training for semi-skilled youths
The purpose of this project was to provide demand-driven training for semi-skilled youths in villages situated in the Union Council of Nar Sher Ali Khan (Azad Kashmir/ Pakistan) and to build safer houses for widows and orphans.
- Sri Lanka – Post-tsunami relief - the UNESCO Village
The building of this highly-successful ‘UNESCO Village’ for homeless fishing families on the south west coast of Sri Lanka began soon after the Tsunami at the beginning of 2005 and was inaugurated in October of the same year.
- Thailand - Support for children affected by HIV/AIDS
This project aims to develop psycho-social abilities and promote life skills as well as resilience in children affected by AIDS in Northern Thailand.
- Thailand – Education for hearing-impaired children
UNESCO works to expand opportunities for deaf children and youth in rural Thailand.