In order to respond to the challenges emerging in modern societies, UNESCO has adopted a new Integrated Strategy to Combat Racism, Discrimination, Xenophobia and Intolerance (32 C/13) in October 2003.
In order to develop this strategy, UNESCO undertook a series of studies on different aspects and forms of racism, xenophobia and discrimination. A series of consultations in different regions in the world were also organized to discuss the regional specificities and priorities to be taken into account.
- Development of scientific research and reflection on the phenomena of racism, discrimination and xenophobia;
- Revision and/or revitalization of UNESCO's instruments dealing with racism and discrimination;
- Development of new educational approaches, elaboration of teaching materials and establishment of indicators;
- Mobilization of opinion leaders and political decision-makers against racism and discrimination;
- Preservation of diversity in multi-ethnic and multicultural societies;
- Combating racist propaganda in media especially in cyberspace.
UNESCO's past strategies and action