Bibliography on Gender and Post-conflict Reconstruction
UN Security Council Resolutions
- Resolution 1325 (2000) [PDF, 36KB] commits the United Nations and its member states to engaging women in conflict prevention and peace-building.
- Resolution 1820 (2008) [PDF, 40 KB] and Resolution 1888 (2009) [PDF, 51 KB]: call for the immediate cessation of sexual violence, often used as a tactic of war.
- Sanam Naraghi Anderlini, Women Building Peace, What They Do, Why It Matters, Lynne Rienner Publishers, 2007
- Dyan E. Mazurana, Angela Raven-Roberts, Jane L. Parpart, Gender, conflict, and peacekeeping, Rowman & Littlefield, 2005, 304p.
- Funmi Olonisakin, Karen Barnes, Eka Ikpe, Women, Peace and Security: Translating policy into practice, Routledge, 25th October 2010, 246p.
- Elizabeth J. Porter, Peacebuilding : Women in international perspective, Routledge, 2007
- Lee Stone and Mireille Affa’a Mindzie (Rapporteurs), Women on post-conflict societies in Africa, Policy Seminar report, Johannesburg, South Africa, 6th and 7th November 2006, UNIFEM
- Gender approaches in conflict and post-conflict situations, UNDP, October 2002
- Sanam Naraghi Anderlini (principal author and project co-director) and John Tirman (project co-director), What the women say : Participation and UNSCR 1325, a Case Study Assessment [PDF, 1.4 MB], by ICAB and MIT Center for International Studies, October 2010
- Sanam Naraghi Anderlini, Women at the peace table: Making a difference, UNIFEM, 2000
- Megan Bastick and Daniel Torres, Implementing the Women, Peace and Security Resolutions in Security Sector Reform [PDF, 1.1 MB], in Gender and SSR Toolkit, Eds. Megan Bastick and Kristin Valasek, Geneva: DCAF, OSCE/ODIHR, UN-INSTRAW, 2010
- Maria Butler, Kristina Mader, and Rachel Kean, Women, Peace and Security Handbook [PDF, 23 MB], PeaceWomen Project, WILPF, 2010
- Naomi R. Cahn, Women in Post-Conflict Reconstruction: Dilemmas and Directions, 12 William and Mary Journal of Women and the Law 335, 2006
- Karin Koen, Claiming Space - Reconfiguring women’s roles in post-conflict situations [PDF, 236 KB], Occasional Paper 121, February 2006
- Mutesi Angela Padua, An analysis of African Union mechanisms for women’s participation in peace building and decision making in after post conflict situations : the case of Mozambique and Rwanda [PDF], submitted in partial fulfillment of the degree LLM (Human rights and Democratization in Africa), Centre for Human Rights, Faculty of Law, University of Pretoria, supervisor : Pauo Comoane, 3rd November 2008
- Antonia Potter, We the Women: why conflict mediation is not just a job for men, HD Opinion, Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue, October 2005
- Antonia Potter, Women, gender and peacemaking in civil wars [PDF, 1.6 MB] in Contemporary Peacemaking, Darby and McGinty Eds, Macmillan, April 2008.
- Elaine Zuckerman and Marcia Greenberg, The Gender Dimensions of Post-conflict Reconstruction: an analytical Framework for Policymakers [PDF, 62 KB], article in Gender and Development, An Oxfam Journal, Volume 12, Number 3, 2004, Oxford and Chapter in Gender, Peacebuilding and Reconstruction, edited by Caroline Sweetman, Oxfam Great Britain, 2005
- Fionnuala Ni Aolain, Dina Francesca Haynes, On the Frontlines: Gender, War, and the Post-conflict Process, Oxford University Press, October 2011, 368p.
- Albrecht Schnabel and Anara Tabyshalieva, Defying Victimhood: Women and Post-conflict Peacebuilding, United Nations, September 2011