Extraordinary Session, Paris, France, 2-4 July 2012
An Extraordinary Session of COMEST took place in Paris from 2 to 4 July 2012, with the generous support of the Fondation Bettencourt Schueller. On 4 July 2012, the session was hosted at the French Academy of Sciences.
In the course of the session, COMEST adopted a number of decisions bearing on the future organization of its own work, as well as substantive statements on the desirability of preparing a declaration of ethical principles in relation to climate change and on the 1974 Recommendation on the Status of Scientific Researchers and a proposal for revision of its Rules of Procedure.
The major items which were discussed during the session were:
- An ethical framework for climate change policies and the desirability of preparing a UNESCO declaration of ethical principles in relation to climate change, on which COMEST adopted a statement;
- Ethical issues in science governance and the science-society relationship and a review on the 1974 Recommendation on the status of scientific researchers, on which COMEST adopted a recommendation;
- Ethics of nanotechnologies and converging technologies, and ethics of development.
- Organizational issues and working methods of COMEST, taking into consideration the current financial circumstances in UNESCO.
- Summary Report on decisions adopted
- Draft Report: Background for a framework of ethical principles and responsibilities for climate change policies