UNESCO's Plan of Action
UNESCO's Plan of Action is aligned with the Organization’s constitutional mandate and its Strategy on Human Rights. It underlines the significance of the Declaration’s 60th anniversary for giving new impetus to international and national efforts aimed at ensuring universal respect for and enjoyment of all human rights – civil, cultural, economic, political and social – and fundamental freedoms, and recognizes that all human rights are equal and mutually reinforcing.
UNESCO’s General Conference discussed at its 34th session a draft UNESCO Plan of Action to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration. The Director-General launched on Human Rights Day, 10 December 2007, UNESCO’s activities for the anniversary.
At the same time, the Organization continued the dialogue and exchange with its Member States on the Plan of Action. A consultation meeting with Permanent Delegations on 6 February 2008, in which 92 Member States participated, together with comments and proposals, presented prior and after it constituted the basis for the preparation of a UNESCO Plan of Action approved by the Executive Board at its 179th session (2-17 April 2008).
In light of the abovementioned consultations of the Member States and programme sectors, and bearing in mind UNESCO’s Strategy on Human Rights, the Director-General submitted to the Executive Board the refined plan of action. It has three main objectives:
- to promote the implementation of human rights within the Organization’s fields of competence as well as human rights education;
- to encourage reflection and exchange on issues linked to the core mandate of UNESCO in the field of human rights, including emerging ethical and social challenges; and
- to raise awareness about human rights standards and procedures for their promotion and protection.
Download the Plan of Action [PDF, 341 KB]
Proposals by Member States
Several Member States presented proposals to organize round tables on pressing human rights issues and emerging ethical and social challenges within the mandate of UNESCO. See document 179 EX/INF.14 [PDF, 36 KB]. They are invited to submit detailed proposals to the Director General explaining the content and format of the activity.
UNESCO's activities under the Banner of the 60th anniversary
A number of activities of the Organization related to human rights and implemented by its Programme Sectors and Field Offices will throughout the year 2008 be placed within the framework of the commemorations of the 60th anniversary.
Report by the Director-General on the activities carried out to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (35 C/44)
English | Français | Español | العربية | Русский | 中文 [PDF, 200 KB]
Download the list of activities [PDF, 236 KB]. The list will be regularly updated.
Activities organized by National Commissions for UNESCO and Permanent Delegations of Member States
- Report by the Director-General on the implementation of UNESCO's refined plan of action and other activities for the commemoration of the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (180 EX/9)
English | Français | Español | العربية | Русский | 中文 [PDF, 100 KB]
- Resolution 38 of the 34th session of UNESCO's General Conference on the Celebration of the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights [PDF, 1.22 MB]