The French National Commission for UNESCO organizes a series of events to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights throughout 2008.
- "Invoke Human Rights by Using Internet" - electronic version of a simplified guide (bilingual French/English) on existing international procedures for claiming human rights in cases of infringement of fundamental rights, prepared jointly by the French and German Commissions for UNESCO. This Internet site is intended for use by all countries at the same time a particular effort will be made to ensure the access to it in African countries. It will be accompanied with a presentation booklet to be issued in December, 2008. An information leaflet was disseminated during the 61st DPI/NGO Conference held in September 2008 at UNESCO Headquarters.
- The documentary "René Cassin: a Life in the Service of Humanity", 52 mn produced by Aubin Hellot with support of the French National Commission for the UNESCO, UNESCO, Ministry of Defence, Charles de Gaulle Foundation and AIU, in co-production with the channel Public Sénat, ECPAD and CNC. This film will recite the story of life of René Cassin, one of the main authors of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Through this portrait, it will be easier to understand the context and the genesis of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which is the product of the 20th century of an extraordinary power. The main speakers will be historians Olivier Wieviorka and Michel Marbeau, philosophers Blandine Kriegel and Gérard Israël, politicians Robert Badinter and Marceau Long and finally diplomats Stephane Hessel and Karel Wasak, both having worked with René Cassin.
- National meeting of UNESCO Clubs and Associated Schools (1000 young people) dedicated to the celebration of the 60th anniversary of the UDHR, 13 December 2008 in Paris.
- Education in human rights: Contribution to the UNESCO’s exhibition about the activities carried out in France in this field, December, 2008.
- Information and sensitization campaign targeted at municipalities which will be launched during the last quarter of 2008 with the aim to create a French coalition of cities against racism.
- The French National Commission for the UNESCO is represented at the inter-ministerial meetings organized by the Ambassador for Human Rights, who is responsible for co-ordinating the celebration of the 60th anniversary in France.
- Publication of new updated editions of UNESCO’s books Human Rights: Questions and Answers illustrated by Plantu, and All Human Beings…, a textbook for education in human rights produced by Francine Best, Vice-president of the Committee on questions of human rights and ethics of the French National Commission for the UNESCO.