- 10 - 11 October 2008: Within the framework of the commemoration of the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Polish National Commission for UNESCO in cooperation with the Ministry of National Education and the UNESCO Initiative Centre (NGO) organized a conference “Human rights - from learning to forming attitudes”. This conference of the Polish UNESCO Associated Schools Network (ASPnet) was held in Warsaw (Poland), from 10 to 11 October 2008.
80 teachers participated in the event. The program consisted of a plenary meeting and three working group sessions dedicated to key problems of human rights education.
The opening session was attended by the representative of the Ministry of National Education, the Secretary-General of the Polish National Commission for UNESCO and representatives of non-governmental organizations engaged in human rights education in Poland. Following a short welcoming address by the National Coordinator of the ASPnet Schools, Krystyna Urbańska, the conference was opened by the Secretary-General of the Polish National Commission for UNESCO, Sławomir Ratajski.
The opening lecture - “Civil society” - was given by Professor Andrzej Zoll, Head of the Chair of Penal Law at the Jagiellonian University in Krakow, former Commissioner for Civil Rights Protection of the Republic of Poland.
During the working group sessions techniques and active methods of human rights education were presented. The participants were divided into 4 working groups and each group was assigned with the task to discuss one of the follwoing issues: Political Rights; Economic, Social and Cultural Rights; Group Rights; Human Rights and Multiculturalism. Next, the participants worked on individual projects which are planned to be realized in theirs schools. *
The workshops were conducted by representatives of the Center for Citizenship Education, the UNESCO Initiatives Center, the Feminoteka Foundation, Amnesty International Poland, and the eFTe Group.
All participants of the conference received a brochure prepared by the National ASPnet coordinator, containing:
- The message from UN Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon, on the occasion of Human Rights Day
- The message from the Director General of UNESCO, Koïchiro Matsuura, on the occasion of Human Rights Day
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- Information on websites with the lectures by Marek Nowicki, President of the Helsinki Foundation for Human Rights (1990-2003), and Wiktor Osiatyński, Professor of the Comparative Constitutionalism and Human Rights at the Central European University
- Lecture by Thomas Hammarberg, Commissioner for Human Rights at the Council of Europe, “The principle of the best interest of the child – what it means and what it demands from adult”
- Information on the UN Human Rights Council
- Information on documents of the European Union on Human Rights
- Brochure “The Right to Education”, UNESCO 2008
National Coordinator of the Polish ASPnet: Krystyna Urbańska.
- 2 December 2008: The Permanent Delegations of Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia will organize jointly the Colloquium "Spring 1968 : Prague – Warsaw, Different Perspectives : Czechoslovakia – Poland". Its objective will be to recall the significance of the movements of students and intellectuals in Czechoslovakia and Poland in spring 1968, at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris.
- The Permanent Delegation of Poland to UNESCO will organize an evening devoted to the memory of the eminent public figure of Poland, Bronislaw Geremek, at the beginning of 2009.
Back to top
More on cooperation between Poland and UNESCO