The Section of International Migration works closely together with several research networks on migration such as APMRN (Asia-Pacific Migration Research Network), CEENOM (Central and Eastern European Network on Migration Research), PIECUM (Ibero-American Programme on Education, Culture and Migrations) and the Institute for Comparative Regional Integration Studies of the United Nations University.
Through these networks and institutes, UNESCO promotes comparative research on international migration and multicultural policies with the aim to improve policy-making in these domains.
UNESCO co-operates with major international and regional organizations in specific projects and activities:
- Council of Europe (COE) - European Committee on Migration (CDMG)
- Global Forum on Migration and Development (GFMD)
- Global Migration Group (GMG)
- International Labour Organization (ILO) - International Migration Programme
- International Movement Against all forms of Discrimination and Racism (IMADR)
- International Organisation for Migration (IOM)
- Migrants Rights International (MRI)
- Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)