Plenary Session of the Intergovernmental Committee for Physical Education and Sport, 2012
The Plenary Session of the Intergovernmental Committee for Physical Education and Sport (CIGEPS) was held from 17 to 19 April 2012, at the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Headquarters in Lausanne (Switzerland). A meeting of its Permanent Consultative Council (PCC), an advisory body which provides technical expertise in sport and physical education, also took place.
The meetings yielded good results in terms of consolidating the Committee’s work programme in 2012-2013 and the preparations for the fifth International Conference of Ministers and Senior Officials responsible for Physical Education and Sport (MINEPS V) to be held from 28 to 30 May 2013 in Berlin (Germany).
Key outcomes of the meeting include:
- adoption of the new membership of the Permanent Consultative Council – PCC * (See CIGEPS/2012/Doc.2);
- support for the development of the core principles for the International Indicators on Quality Physical Education (See CIGEPS/2012/Doc.3);
- endorsement of the Secretariat’s work advancing the “business case” presenting the Socio-Economic Benefits of Sportsupport for the preparations for MINEPS V, including the Conference’s key themes (See CIGEPS/2012/Doc.4):
- “Inclusion – Sport for All”: Sport and physical education as fundamental rights for all, in the context of realizing the International Charter of Physical Education and Sport (Commission I);
- “How Public Investment makes good Policy Sense”: Promoting investment in sport and physical education programmes, particularly from a public policy perspective (Commission II);
- “Clean Sport”: Preserving the integrity of sport (Commission III).
- Provisional Agenda and Timetable (CIGEPS/2012/Doc.1) [PDF, 50 KB] -
also available in French [PDF, 50 KB] and Spanish [PDF, 56 KB];
- Report on the Permanent Consultative Council (PCC) [PDF, 86 KB] – Item 5 of the Provisional Agenda (CIGEPS/2012/Doc.2) -
also available in French [PDF, 95 KB] and Spanish [PDF, 88 KB];
- Report on the development of International Indicators on Quality Physical education [PDF, 79 KB] - Item 7 of the Provisional Agenda (CIGEPS/2012/Doc.3) -
also available in French [PDF, 56 KB] and Spanish [PDF, 75 KB];
- Report on preparations for MINEPS V [PDF, 78 KB] - Item 8 of the Provisional Agenda (CIGEPS/2012/Doc.4) -
also available in French [PDF, 52 KB] and Spanish [PDF, 69 KB].
Anti-Doping and Sport Team
Social and Human Sciences Sector
Tel.: + 33 (0)1 45 68 38 52
* The Permanent Consultative Council (PCC), comprising key sport federations, UN agencies and NGOs, provides technical support and advice to CIGEPS.