Young Africans at the 7th UNESCO Youth Forum - The Africa session
The 7th UNESCO Youth Forum included a thematic parallel session on youth-led social innovation in Africa, which looked into the opportunities and challenges relating to African youth. In addition to the youth delegates, the session featured representatives of the African Union Commission, African Member States, and key partners active in Africa, as well as experts, youth activists and entrepreneurs from Africa.
Youth delegates specifically stressed the need to:
- Ensure the implementation of the African Youth Charter and to support youth participation in decision-making.
- Invest in research on African Youth.
- Ensure transparent elections.
- Support the use of new social media, particularly in terms of building networks and sharing best practices on youth participation in decision-making.
- Incorporate entrepreneurship curricula in education systems in Africa.
- Promote the positive role of youth in post-conflict social reconstruction.