6th UNESCO Youth Forum - 2009
The 6th UNESCO Youth Forum took place at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris from 1 to 3 October 2009. Since 2003, the Youth Forum has been an integral part of the UNESCO General Conference. The 2009 Forum was held prior to its 35th Session.
Young delegates from UNESCO Member States were given the opportunity to exchange views, share experiences, reflect together and identify common opportunities and challenges.
The main theme of the Forum was:
- “Investing out of the crisis: towards a partnership between UNESCO and youth organizations”.
This theme was complemented by a cross-cutting theme:
- “Youth participation - UNESCO Youth Forum, a long term approach”.
Download the final report [PDF, 124 KB]
It contains the key recommendations made by youth participants on these themes that were presented at the UNESCO General Conference.
The Forum included 128 delegates from 89 countries. Youth delegates were nominated by UNESCO Member States. Criteria for the selection of delegates were as follows:
- Age (between 18 and 24 years);
- Membership in a representative youth organization and involvement in youth-related issues at the community level;
- Gender parity;
- Representation of indigenous peoples is encouraged.
84 representatives from 68 different youth organizations, international and national NGOs, and UN agencies attended as observers.
A newsroom was set up for five youth journalists, one from each UNESCO region. They attended the Forum and covered it both internally and externally.
U-TH Newsletter - Voice of the 6th UNESCO Youth Forum
- Issue 1, Thursday 1 October [PDF, 252 KB]
- Issue 2, Friday 2 October [PDF, 282 KB]
- Issue 3, Saturday 3 October [PDF, 615 KB]
- Issue 4, Sunday 4 October [PDF, 332 KB]
- Report of the UNESCO General Conference Youth Forum (2009), 35 C/INF.5 [PDF, 124 KB]
- Agenda [47 KB, PDF]
- Rules of Procedure [50 KB, PDF]
- Fact Sheet [36 KB, PDF]