UNESCO is the United Nations’ specialized agency for education. Since its creation in 1945, the Organization has worked to improve education worldwide.
UNESCO’s core mandate is to bring education to allthe world’s people, based on the principle that education is a universal human right. Its close links with education ministries and other partners in 193 countries place it in a key position to press for action. UNESCO believes that education is key to social and economic development. We work for a sustainable world with just societies that value knowledge, promote a culture of peace, celebrate diversity and defend human rights, achieved by providing Education for All (EFA).
In order to achieve this UNESCO Education Sector is provide international leadership to create learning societies with educational opportunities for all populations and provide expertise and foster partnerships to strengthen national educational leadership and the capacity of countries to offer quality education for all. UNESCO works as an intellectual leader, an honest broker and clearing house for ideas, propelling both countries and the international community to accelerate progress towards these goals. It facilitates the development of partnerships and monitors progress, in particular by publishing an annual Global Monitoring Report that tracks the achievements of countries and the international community towards the six Education for All goals.
UNESCO office in Tashkent is working to assist the Government to improve quality and access to education in Uzbekistan through technical advice, standard setting, innovative projects and networking. Education sector of UNESCO office in Tashkent is mainly focused to enhance the national education sector by means of strengthening the capacity of teachers’ education institutions, improvement of teaching quality, training opportunities and learning materials. In this regard, UNESCO education sector is actively conducting following activities:
- teacher training courses for integration of ICT to teaching and learning processes with the aim of improving quality of learning process.
- strengthening capacities of policy makers by introducing them Education Management Information Systems, by means of which policy makers would be able to retrieve accurate data from all levels of basic education.
- intervention for the development and improvement of technical and vocational education and training in Uzbekistan, UNESCO Tashkent office is conducting country analysis study of Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) system.
- training of trainers courses (ToT) on Education for Sustainable Development – UNESCOin cooperation with National University of Uzbekistan, has designed and conducting ToT courses to integrate Education for Sustainable Development concepts into the existing curricula, and increase awareness among educators and policy makers in Sustainable Development issues.
- UNESCO supports comprehensive education sector responses to HIV and AIDS in five essential areas: quality education; content, curriculum and learning materials; educator training and support; policy, management and systems and the use of multiple approaches and entry points. UNESCO leads EDUCAIDS, the UNAIDS Global Initiative on Education and HIV & AIDS, the Organization supports Member States in achieving universal access to prevention, treatment, care and support of HIV/AIDS