Communication & Information
The Communication and Information (CI) programme of the UNESCO Office in Tehran (UTCO) was established in 2005. Regional initiatives in support of media capacity building and access to information were initiated in 2006.
The objective of the CI Sector programme is to promote:
- The free flow of ideas and universal access to information
- The preservation of documentary heritage
- Quality journalism, pluralism and cultural diversity through the media
- Access for all to ICTs, with a particular emphasis on the use of ICT to enhance access for people with disabilities
Areas of intervention:
- Capacity building for journalists and media professionals on issues such as science journalism, peace journalism, climate change, culture, disaster risk reduction, and the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda
- Promotion of the preservation of documentary heritage through the Memory of the World Programme
- Increase information literacy through conferences and training workshops
- Promotion of the use of ICTs to enhance access for people with disabilities and create more inclusive societies.