The 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda recognizes cultural diversity as a key vector in the sustainable development of peoples and societies. SDG 11 specifically calls upon Member States to strengthen efforts to protect and safeguard the world’s cultural and natural heritage.
The Culture Programme of the UNESCO Cluster Office in Tehran places emphasis on a holistic approach to the protection and safeguarding of cultural heritage in all its forms, tangible and intangible; the promotion of cultural diversity and dialogue between cultures and civilizations; as well as the promotion of creative industries in the region.
Main areas of intervention:
- Strengthening capacities for the sustainable management and conservation of heritage sites
- Capacity building for the safeguarding of intangible cultural heritage
- Capacity building for the protection of underwater heritage
- Support to combat the illicit trafficking of cultural property
- Promotion of dialogue between cultures and civilizations through the organization of international conferences and seminars
- Promotion of creative industries and UNESCO’s creative cities network
- Support to the development of sustainable tourism strategies
- Celebration of International Days to promote a culture of peace