Science and technology are critical drivers for achieving sustainable development and play a pivotal role in the achievement of the SDGs.
In order to contribute to system-wide efforts towards the sustainable management and utilization of natural resources, the Science Unit of UNESCO Tehran Cluster Office has adopted the following strategic objectives:
- To improve understanding of scientific concepts and approaches in the area of natural sciences.
- To identify and share best practices, success stories, indigenous knowledge, and local innovative approaches in natural resources management.
- To build the capacities of local experts and decision makers in the four cluster countries.
- To create thematic and inter-sectoral networks among scientists and policy makers in the region.
- To promote equal access to science and technology knowledge and benefits.
Areas of intervention:
The Natural Sciences Programme of the UNESCO Tehran Cluster Office supports the four cluster countries in the areas of the following SDGs:
- SDG 6 – Clean water and sanitation
- SDG 7 – Affordable and clean energy
- SDG 11 – Sustainable cities and communities
- SDG 12 – Responsible consumption and production
- SDG 13 – Climate action
- SDG 13 – Life below water
- SDG 14 – Life on land
In Iran, several water-related centers function under the auspices of UNESCO: the Regional Centre on Urban Water Management-Tehran (RCUWM); the International Centre on Qanats and Historic Hydraulic Structures (ICQHS); the Regional Center on Oceanography for West Asia; and the International Centre for the Integrated Management of Watershed and Bio-Resources in Arid and Semi-Arid Regions.
The UNESCO Tehran Cluster Office enjoys close cooperation with these centers in all of its water-related activities.