High-level round table
The high-level roundtable brought together Ministers and other high-level representatives on the first day of the Conference to discuss and provide guidance on drivers for and barriers to an enhanced policy response to ESD as well as necessary actions in this regard.
Practical information for participants of the High-level round table: How to enhance policy support for Education for Sustainable Development?
1. The high-level round table will take place on Monday 10 November from 14.00 to 16.00 in the Shirotori Hall, Nagoya Congress Center.
2. Ministerial-level representatives of UNESCO Member States and heads of intergovernmental organizations and other high-level representatives are invited to join the discussion.
3. Space permitting, other conference participants will be able to follow the high-level round table in the room as observers. A live broadcast will also be available for conference participants. In addition, live and on-demand video streaming will be available on the conference website.
4. The round table will address the following four key questions:
- Why has ESD been adopted by some countries but not by others?
- What are the success factors that enable the integration of ESD into education and sustainable development policies?
- What prevents the creation of an enabling policy environment for ESD?
- What actions are needed at national and international levels in order to enhance the policy response to ESD?
5. The round table will be co-chaired by Irina Bokova, Director-General of UNESCO, and Hakubun Shimomura, Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan..
6. The round table will be moderated by Stephen Cole, Presenter for Al Jazeera English, Doha and London, and former presenter of the BBC World programme.
7. After the opening and the introductory statements, participants will be invited to make a two-minute intervention, responding to one of the key questions. Ministers will be given priority by the moderator.
8. The moderator will manage the list of speakers with the assistance of the Secretariat.
9. While oral interventions will be limited to two minutes, ministers wishing to circulate a longer statement or a written contribution are welcome to send their text to the Secretariat (esddecade(at)unesco.org). This material will be posted on the Conference website: www.unesco.org/new/esd2014