External Evaluation of UNESCO’s Strategic Programme Objectives 9 and 10: “Strengthening the contribution of culture to sustainable development” and “Demonstrating the importance of exchange and dialogue among cultures to social cohesion and reconciliation"
March 2011 - This evaluation assesses progress towards achieving the expected outcomes of Strategic Programme Objectives 9 and 10, and how progress might be enhanced through improving programme policy, design and delivery.
The expected outcomes of SPO 9 “Strengthening the contribution of culture to sustainable development” given in UNESCO's Medium-Term Strategy (2008–2013) are as follows:
- Principles of cultural diversity integrated into policies, mechanisms and practices at national and regional levels.
- Cultural development reflected in national development plans and legislation.
- The role of culture in development and principles of cultural diversity reflected in South-South cooperation mechanisms.
- Awareness about the cultural contribution of indigenous peoples to sustainable development enhanced.
- New cooperative mechanisms, including public-private partnerships, based on the principles of cultural diversity, developed for cultural industries and best practices in this area collected and recognized by UNESCO.
The expected outcomes of SPO 10 “Demonstrating the importance of exchange and dialogue among cultures to social cohesion and reconciliation in order to develop a culture of peace” given in UNESCO's Medium-Term Strategy (2008–2013) are as follows:
- Emerging challenges and obstacles to a sustained dialogue among civilizations and cultures identified.
- Methodologies, procedures and networks promoting dialogue among professionals developed.
- Mutual understanding strengthened in several regions and sub-regions through dialogue-related activities.
- Intercultural dialogue integrated as part of quality education in curricula and learning materials.
- Lisbon Roadmap on Arts Education implemented together with other partners.
Download the full Evaluation Report (pdf/624KB).
Download the Executive Board document 185EX/6 Part IV where this evaluation report is presented in a synthesis report of all Strategic Programme Objective evaluations conducted since 2008 (pdf/1.34 MB).
<- Back to: All news