Mrs Alexandra Ochirova was born in Moscow in 1949. She graduated from the Faculty of Philosophy of Moscow State University in 1972, and completed a postgraduate course at the Institute of Philosophy, Academy of Sciences, where she also obtained a PhD in Philosophy.
Between 1976 and 1990, Mrs Ochirova worked at the Institute of Philosophy, and from 1993 to 1995, she was an elected member of the State Duma (Parliament of the Russian Federation), where she served as Deputy President of the International Affairs Committee.
Mrs Ochirova has been a Member of the Board of the Presidential Council for the Implementation of Priority National Projects and Demographic Policy since 2006. From 2006 to 2011, Mrs Ochirova served as a Member of the Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation, Chairperson of the Commission on Social Development and Chairperson of the Commission on Social and Demographic Policy. She also was a Member of the Organizing Committee, and regularly participated in the International Women’s Summits, as well as the International Conference on Population and Development (Cairo, 1995) and the UN World Summit for Social Development (Copenhagen, 1995).
In 1990, Mrs Ochirova founded the International Women Center “Women’s Future”. She is still the President of this Center, which is one of the primary non-governmental organizations in the Russia Federation. The Center is famous for its innovative social programmes and projects aimed at providing medical, social and other assistance to vulnerable social groups, primarily to women and children in difficulty. The Center participates in various charity events and international conferences on humanitarian issues, as well as on the situation of women and children in modern society.
Mrs Ochirova is a member of several international academic associations and other non-governmental organizations, and is actively involved in organizing different international events and conferences. She is a Member of the Russian Union of Writers, and has been an Honorary Member of the Russian Academy of Arts since 2011.