Expert Meeting on Climate Change Education in Africa
The expert meeting will bring together about 80 climate change education experts from all over Africa to identify main challenges that climate change poses to education systems in Africa and explore the role education can play in addressing climate change effects. It aims to formulate recommendations on adapting the education systems of African countries to the impact of climate change.
The expert meeting will focus on four thematic blocks: target the most affected and vulnerable, draw from a variety of knowledge sources, prepare for disaster, and building green societies through green job training.
It will, in particular:
• promote the important contribution education can make to address climate change effects in African countries;
• further the effective integration of climate change issues into education programmes and school curricula in African countries;
• identify climate change adaptation and mitigation needs and responses for education systems and education institutions, including infrastructure, management and resourcing;
• enhance the exchange of experiences and good practices on climate change education among ministries, teachers, practitioners and young people;
• identify opportunities for partnerships between schools, NGOs, UN agencies and UNESCO networks to enhance formal and non-formal education programmes on climate change.
|Type of Event||Working group|
|Start||20.03.2013 09:00 local time|
|End||22.03.2013 17:00 local time|
|Date to be fixed||0|
|Focal point||Heiss, Julia|
|Organizer||ED/PSD/ESD, in cooperation with the Mauritius National Commission for UNESCO|
|Permanent Delegation Contact|
|Language of Event||English, French|
|Estimated number of participants||80|