Workshop on “Memory of the World – Protecting Ancient Documentary Heritage" in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea
© UNESCO/Andrea Cairola
Ancient documentary archives (The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea)
The National Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea for UNESCO and the Grand People’s Study House are organizing the workshop on “Memory of The World – Protecting Ancient Documentary Heritage" in consultation with UNESCO Beijing Office. This event which will take place in Pyongyang on 09-10 July 2013 will be facilitated by Prof. CHU Fook Keung, special advisor to Memory of the World Committee for Asia/Pacific (MOWCAP) and a professor in Archival Science at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
The workshop will have sessions on:
- the history of the Memory of the World (MoW) Programme as well as its importance for future generations;
- the role and functions of MoW;
- the best practices for the establishment of a MoW National Committee;
- awareness raising on the importance of the preservation of ancient documentary heritage (including UNESCO’s vision that the world’s documentary heritage belongs to all, should be fully preserved and protected for all, and should be accessible);
- the criteria and standards for the importance of documents (authenticity, aesthetic qualities, importance etc.);
- the best practices for mapping the country documentary heritage and creating a national database.
The event will be attended by relevant governmental stakeholder, institutions custodian of documentary heritage (GPSH, National Film Archive, National Broadcaster, Central History Museum, State Archive, and provincial libraries) as well as relevant national experts.
|Type of Event||Meeting by Member States or Institutions|
|Start||09.07.2013 10:00 local time|
|End||10.07.2013 19:00 local time|
|Date to be fixed||1|
|Focal point||Cairola, Andrea|
|Organizer||The National Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea for UNESCO and the Grand People’s Study House|
|Contact||Andrea Cairola (email@example.com)|
|Country||Democratic People's Republic of Korea|
|Permanent Delegation Contact||Permanent Delegation of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea to UNESCO|
|Language of Event||English|
|Estimated number of participants||22|
|Link 1||Memory of the World|