Ethics Teacher Training Course in Sri Lanka
© All Rights Reserved / Tous droits réservés
The Ethics Teacher Training Course will be organized in Colombo, Sri Lanka, from 20 to 24 of February 2017, jointly by UNESCO and the Institute for Research and Development (IRD). Its aim is to advance quality ethics education by building professional capacities of ethics teachers.
The Course will be based on one week training module developed by UNESCO in collaboration with the global experts in ethics education.
The module contains the following key components:
1. Global Perspective on Ethics Teaching: trends, challenges and opportunities
2. The UNESCO Core Curriculum as a tool for promoting quality ethics education
3. Ethics Teaching in Action: what and how to teach (a model lesson)
4. Ethics teaching and inter-faith dialogue: Sharing experiences in ethics teaching in different religious contexts
5. Classroom communication: pedagogy and psychology of ethics teaching
6. Simulated teaching presentations by participants followed by feedback from the Course instructors
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: The deadline for submitting the filled out application is 1 November 2016. Please send the completed application form, also available from the dedicated UNESCO website, to firstname.lastname@example.org
The course will be conducted by a team of experts with extensive experience in ethics education and cooperation with UNESCO. The team will feature leading experts from the host country, as well as invited experts from abroad.
Due to the interactive nature of the course, the number of participants is limited to 30 persons. The decisions concerning admission to the course will be made on the bases of the following criteria:
• Masters or higher degree (in areas such as law, medicine, philosophy, ethics, and social sciences);
• University affiliation (teaching experience or plans to engage in teaching);
• Good command of the language of instruction (English).
• Content of the motivation letter (minimum of 600 words), stating the applicant’s reasons for participating in the course and expectations concerning the use of the acquired knowledge.
There is no tuition fee for participating in ETTC. However, the participants are expected to cover the charges related to their travel to the venue and their accommodation. Lunch and coffee/tee breaks will be provided during the training.
The core reading materials for ETTC participants are available free of charge from UNESCO web site (www.unesco.org/bioethics):
• Universal Declaration on Bioethics and Human Rights.
• Bioethics Core Curriculum, Section 1: Syllabus. Ethics Education Programme, UNESCO, 2008.
• Bioethics Core Curriculum, Section 2: Study materials. Ethics Education programme, UNESCO, 2011.
• Casebook on Human Dignity and Human Rights, Bioethics Core Curriculum Casebook Series, No. 1, UNESCO, 2011
• Casebook on Benefit and Harm, Bioethics Core Curriculum Casebook Series, No. 2, UNESCO, 2011
The UNESCO web site provides links to other relevant publications as well. The list of reading materials will be circulated to the selected participants in advance of the course.
The Course Instructors will assume that each participant has obtained and studied the reading materials ahead of the commencement of the course.
Each participant will also be expected to prepare a “teaching class,” which will receive feedback and evaluation from the experts. Participants can select a topic in ethics according to their own interest and expertise, and prepare a 10 minute teaching session, to give a short demonstration of ethics teaching. The audience of this presentation will be the group of fellow participants as well as the instructors. The instructors will provide immediate constructive feedback and suggestions.
For additional information, please contact Irakli Khodeli, Programme Specialist for Social and Human Sciences at UNESCO Office in Jakarta, Indonesia (email@example.com).
|Type of Event||Category 7-Seminar and Workshop|
|Start||20.02.2017 05:00 local time|
|End||24.02.2017 05:00 local time|
|Date to be fixed||0|
|Focal point||Khodeli, Irakli|
|Organizer||UNESCO Office in Jakarta|
|Contact||Irakli Khodeli, firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com|
|Permanent Delegation Contact|
|Language of Event||English|
|Estimated number of participants|
|Link 1||Application Form (Word)|
|Link 2||More information about the Course|
|Link 3||Ethics Teachers’ Training Courses (ETTC)|
|Link 4||UNESCO Office in Jakarta|