World Radio Day
© Children's Radio Foundation
13 February is a date proclaimed by UNESCO to celebrate radio broadcast, improve international cooperation among radio broadcasters and encourage decision-makers to create and provide access to information through radio, including community radios. It’s an occasion to draw attention to the unique value of radio, which remains the medium to reach the widest audience and is currently taking up new technological forms and devices.
• Seven international broadcasters will broadcast live from UNESCO Headquarters: BBC (BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION), CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL (CRI), RADIO EXTERIOR DE ESPAÑA (REE), RFI (RADIO FRANCE INTERNATIONALE), MONTE CARLO DOUALIYA (MCD), RADIO ORIENT and THE VOICE OF RUSSIA (VOR)
From 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Opening ceremony at 11 a.m. by Ms Irina Bokova, Director-general of UNESCO
• Five debates from 11.10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- 11.10 a.m. – 11.45 a.m. “Youth Radio” (in French)
Speakers: Mirta Lourenço, Chief of UNESCO’s Media and Society Section; Emmanuel Semo, President, Radio VL First Young Media of France and Clémence Petit-Perrot, Children's Radio Foundation (CRF)
- 11.45 a.m. – 12.30 p.m. “Killed for doing their job. The Threat to Radio Journalists” (in English)
Participants: Jean-Paul Marthoz, Committee to Protect Journalists and Rania Badri, radio journalist in exile from Syria and Biniam Simon, founder of Radio Erena
- 12.30 p.m. – 1 p.m. “United Nations Plan of Action on Safety of Journalists” (in French)
Speaker: Sylvie Coudray, Chief of UNESCO’s Freedom of Expression Section
- 1 p.m. – 2 p.m. “Shortwave Broadcasting: a Radio of the Past?” (in English)
Participants: Catherine Westcott, Senior Frequency Manager, BBC, Joseph Troxler, CEO Ampegon, Steering Board Member, Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM); Oleg Kupriyanov, Deputy Chairman, International Relations, Voice of Russia and Guy Berger, Director of UNESCO’s Division of Freedom of Expression and Media Development
- 2 p.m. – 3 p.m. “Albert Turpain, two years before Guglielmo Marconi” (in French)
Speaker: Jacques Marzac, historian
* Programme subject to modification, please check for updates online.
UNESCO encourages all countries to celebrate this Day by undertaking activities with diverse partners, such as national, regional and international broadcasting associations and organizations, non-governmental organizations, media organizations, outlets as well as the public at large.
|Type of Event||Special Event|
|Start||13.02.2013 10:00 local time|
|End||13.02.2013 18:00 local time|
|Date to be fixed||0|
|Focal point||Lourenco, Mirta|
|Contact||Mirta Lourenco (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|Venue||UNESCO Headquarters and Worldwide|
|Street||7, place de Fontenoy|
|Room||Open UNESCO, Room Miro 1, Room Miro 2, Salle Pas Perdus|
|Permanent Delegation Contact|
|Language of Event||English, French|
|Estimated number of participants||300|
|Link 1||World Radio Day|