Third United Nations Conference on Small Island Developing States
Island daily life
The Third United Nations Conference on Small Island Developing States will focus the world’s attention on a group of countries that remain a special case for sustainable development in view of their unique and particular vulnerabilities.
The main objectives are to:
- assess the progress to date and remaining gaps in the implementation of the Mauritius Strategy for the Further Implementation of the Programme of Action for Sustainable Development of Small Island Developing States;
- seek a renewed political commitment by focusing on practical and pragmatic actions for further implementation;
- identify new and emerging challenges and opportunities for the sustainable development of SIDS and means of addressing them; and
- identify priorities for the sustainable development of SIDS to be considered in the elaboration of the post-2015 UN development agenda.
The overarching theme of the Third International Conference on Small Island Developing States is "The sustainable development of Small Island Developing States through genuine and durable partnerships".
The conference will be preceded by a Major Pre-Conference Forum on Youth led by the Government of Samoa in collaboration with the UN, with UNESCO as a key supporting agency, Major Group Children and Youth and other partners.
UNESCO has been contributing to the preparatory process of the conference, providing inputs to the zero draft of the outcome document and outlining priority issues within UNESCO’s mandate.
The UNESCO Director General will participate in the plenary meetings of the conference and in the high level side event: “The UN System and SIDS: Partners in implementing the Samoa Pathway”.
UNESCO will also participate actively in the multi-stakeholder partnership dialogues held in parallel with the plenary meetings to showcase successful partnerships and launch new, concrete and innovative collaborations in the following areas:
- Social development in SIDS, Health and NCDs, youth and women
- Oceans, Seas and Biodiversity
UNESCO is also organizing several side events focusing on relevant issues related to the ocean, careers in the sciences and the water sector, creativity, cultural heritage, youth and education for sustainable development.
|Type of Event||Meeting by Member States or Institutions|
|Start||01.09.2014 09:00 local time|
|End||04.09.2014 18:00 local time|
|Date to be fixed||0|
|Focal point||Nakashima, Douglas|
|Organizer||Government of Samoa, UN DESA|
|Permanent Delegation Contact|
|Language of Event|
|Estimated number of participants|
|Official Website||Website of the conference|
|Link 1||UNESCO's contribution to the International Year of Small Island Developing States 2014|
|Link 2||Third United Nations Conference on Small Island Developing States: UNESCO Events|