Celebration of the World Science Day for Peace and Development 2015
Many partners around the world will be joining UNESCO in order to make the day a truly worldwide celebration. This list below of events organized worldwide is not exhaustive. We invite you to join us in celebrating the day and to share information with us about the activities you organize.
You can also download the calendar for your own use in English
Official celebration at UNESCO Headquarters
10 November 2015, 18:30 - 22:00, Room IX
The UNESCO Science Report will be launched on World Science Day for Peace and Development (10 November 2015) at UNESCO headquarters in Paris. This unique report monitors the status of science, technology and innovation around the world every five years, providing a snapshot of current trends and developments in human and financial investment, research priorities and scientific productivity, using data provided by the UNESCO Institute for Statistics and other sources. Small exhibition of posters highlighting some of the report’s findings will also be displayed in the hall between Room IX and the Delegates’ Bar.
Society for the Popularization of Science, Bangladesh (SPSB)
Activity / event planned:
An open discussion on the UNESCO Science Report 2015 and the significance of World Science Day for Peace and Development.
Academic Members of Society for the Popularization of Science (SPSB) as well as mass people will attend this discussion. Cake cutting and other festivities will be held in the event. The program will take place at SPSB office (address mentioned above) at 17:00 local time on November 10.
Contact Person: Munir Hasan
Organization: Society for the Popularization of Science, Bangladesh (SPSB)
Postal Address: 210/2, Sheltech Niribili (1st Floor), Elephant Road, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Area Code: 1205
E‐mail: info(at)spsb.org - munir.hasan(at)bdosn.org
In October earlier this year, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) launched for the 1st time an event called SOLVE dedicated to rethinking science, research and innovation to meet the major issues in the world today (Fuel, Cure, Make, Learn).
The 2nd edition of the SOLVE event is scheduled for September 2016 but in the mean time local communities are beginning to form in order to act along these lines!
On the occasion of the World Science Day for Peace and Development, SoScience has decided to launch the french chapter of SOLVE MIT. We therefore invite all companies, organisations and individuals who feel concerned by these topics to join the community in France so that we can move forward together and chart out new practices, and develop a new mindset in order to solve global issues that exist today through science, research and innovation.
Join us for the first meeting of the community in France on the 10th of November 10: we will present a summary of this year's SOLVE conference and then begin to work together towards the first actions of this new community we have to develop together!
Follow us on -->
Contact Person: Mélanie Marcel
Postal Address: 69 Rue de Croulebarbe
Area Code: 75013
State/Province: Ile de France
National Institute of Technology Calicut
workshop on science education for sustainable development in india on world science day at NITC (addressed to staff & students & public)
Contact Person: prof Premraj pushpakaran
Organization: National Institute of Technology Calicut
Postal Address: 302, School of Bio-Technology, NITC East Campus, Calicut - 673601, Kerala
Area Code: 0495
This is the collaboration event between Scientec SMAN 49 Jakarta and FOSCA (Forum of Scientist Teenager). The event will be dedicated to the International Year of Light 2015 and be held on Saturday, 14 November 2015 at SMAN 49 Jakarta. There will be some scientific sessions such as talkshow, workshop, science fair, scientific discussion, etc.
Come and Join!
Get the information on our twitter @KIRFOSCA1 or facebook Kir Fosca
- Local Organize Committee : Lega Adilawati
- Steering Organize Committee : Aldio Hafiz Darmawan
- Local Organize Committee : Scientec SMAN 49 Jakarta
- Steering Organize Committee : FOSCA (Forum of Scientist Teenager)
Postal Address: SMAN 49 Jakarta, Jl. Pepaya Raya No. 9 Jagakarsa
City: South Jakarta
Area Code: 12620
Resources Himalaya Foundation
We are pleased to announce that Resources Himalaya Foundation (RHF) and Environmental Graduates in Himalaya (EGH) are celebrating World Science Day (WSD) 2015 in Nepal. Proclaimed by UNESCO, the WSD is observed every year on November 10 with various activities around the World. This year, the theme is “ Science for a Sustainable Future”. We have Ms Pearly Wong, Sustainable Development Researcher/Practitioner, UNESCO, Nepal who will be talking on the theme of WSD with us. On behalf of RHF and EGH, I humbly extend this cordial invitation for your participation in the program.
Date: 10 November
Time: 3-4 PM
Venue: Dr Pralad Yonzon Memorial Conservation Chautari, Resources Himalaya Foundation, Nayabato –Sanepa, Lalitpur.
Contact Person: Kalpana KC
Organization: Environmental Graduates in Himalaya
Postal Address: Environmental Graduates in Himalaya (EGH) Naya bato, Sanepa Ring Road GPO Box 2448,
Tel: +977 1 5537502
Universitat Politècnica de València
Activity / event planned:
- A Seminar about “Science and the Agenda 2030”
- A Round table about research projects related to development
- An exhibition on Technology for development
- A Workshop about participatory video
Contact Person: Álvaro Fernandez-Baldor Martinez
Organization: Universitat Politècnica de València (Spain)
Postal Address: Camí de Vera s/n – Campus dels Tarongers
Area Code: 46022
State/Province: Comunidad Valenciana
Fax: 34 96 387 78 99
Fundació Privada Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau
Contact Person: Kathrine Raleigh
Organization: Fundació Privada Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau
Postal Address: Sant Antoni Marià Claret Street, 167
Area Code: 08025
Tel: (+34) 93 556 55 77
Activity / event planned:
Microbial Most latest Researches 3D presentations.
Contact Person: Isuru Senarath
Organization: Horizon campus
Postal Address: Millenium drive, horizon campus, malabe
Area Code: 10115
Country: Sri Lanka
Commission on Science and Technology for Sustainable Development in the South (COMSATS) Headquarters and Pakistan Academy of Sciences (PAS)
COMSATS’ Discussion Forum on ‘Science for a Sustainable Future’
Sharing the international community’s perspective on sustainable development, the Commission on Science and Technology for Sustainable Development in the South (COMSATS), in collaboration with the Pakistan Academy of Sciences (PAS), is organizing a discussion forum on November 10, 2015. The objective is to celebrate this year’s World Science Day for Peace and Development with the pledge to support Science and Technology based national, regional and international efforts for safe, secure and sustainable development. Seasoned scientists and renowned experts will elaborate on the center issue of promoting quality science for sustainable development in Pakistan. The forum will conclude with a set of recommendations for promoting science at various levels to achieve commitments on the agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Event brochure
- Newspaper Coverage link: The Nation (11 November 2015) Experts Stress for Science Promotion at all levels
Contact Person: Abdul Majid Qureshi, Research Scholar, COMSATS Headquarters Prof. Anwar Nasim, President, Pakistan Academy of Sciences
Organization: Commission on Science and Technology for Sustainable Development in the South (COMSATS) Headquarters and Pakistan Academy of Sciences (PAS)
Postal Address: COMSATS Headquarters, 4th Floor, Shahrah-e-Jamhuriat, Sector G-5/2
Area Code: 44000
> Country: Pakistan
Tel: +92-51-9214515-7 Ext: 204
UNESCO Islamabad in collaboration with Pakistan Science Foundation and ECO Science Foundation organized a Convention of Scientists on the World Science Day 2015.
Contact Person: Dr. Muhammad Akram Shaikh, Mr. Ghulam Abbas and Mr. Syed Muhammad Raza Shah
Organization: Pakistan Science Foundation, ECO Science Foundation, UNESCO Islamabad
Postal Address: Pakistan Science Foundation (PSF) Building, Plot No.1, Constitution Avenue, G-5/2
Area Code: 44000
Fax: +92 51 9202468, +92 51 2600250
E‐mail: ms(at)psf.gov.pk, abbas.ecosf(at)eco4science.org and r.shah(at)unesco.org
Tel: +92 51 9203044, +92 51 9215496 and +92 51 2600242
Umul Madaris Model School
A poster competition will be organized with grade six to grade ten students of different schools. All students will be awarded certificates of participation. Special prizes will also be awarded to the top 10 models and top 10 posters. A Science quiz and exhibition among other activities will also be organized.
Contact Person: Muhammad Shoaib
Organization: Umul Madaris Model School
Postal Address: Gulberg A Faisal Abad
City: Faisal Abad
Area Code: 3800
EXCITING PANEL AND OPEN MIC - An Event of reflection and discussion What Would It Take for Pakistani Universities to do World Class Science - This comes in the backdrop of the launch of Muslim-Science Task Force Report on Science at the Universities in the Muslim World. Join us to listen to a great blend of experience and passion as our panelists and audience comments upon the State of Science at our Universities. We will also discuss the report's findings and recommendations.
Contact Person: Snober Abbasi
Organization: Muslim Science
Postal Address: Muslim Science, WECreate Center, Select One Plaza, 2nd Floor, F-11 Markaz, Islamabad, Pakistan
Area Code: 44000
State/Province: Islamabad Capital Terroirty
Tel: 00 92 344 529 7996
Partnership of Agham
A forum tackling urgent issues surrounding Philippine science and technology and an exhibition of local research and development projects from the students of the Polytechnic University of the Philippines.
Contact Person: JM Ayuste
Organization: Agham - Advocates of Science and Technology for the People and the Institute for Science and Technology Research, Polytechnic University of the Philippines
Postal Address: 127B Sct. Fuentebella St., Brgy. Sacred Heart
City: Quezon City
Area Code: 1103
State/Province: National Capital Region
Tel: (+63) 416 4468
Research Institute of Complex Problems of Adyghe State University
Open Day in Research institution of Complex problem of Adyghe State University (Maykop, Russia). Open day aims to showcase the achievements of all laboratories. It is focused on demonstrations for students the scientific foundations of physiology, biomechanics, nutritiology. It wil be organized an exhibition of geological-mineralogical, zoological museums.
- Acquainted students with the structure of the Institute, the main activities of research centers, laboratories, and museums (business incubator, foyer)
- A visit to the centre "Health" (activity center. Organization of the master class on assessment of physiological state in the laboratory of health monitoring) (business incubator, RM. 104)
- A visit to the laboratory of biological monitoring of invertebrates of Adyghea (Demonstration collection funds, familiarity with the red book RA) (business incubator, RM. 103)
- A visit to the laboratory of nutrition and ecology (Master-class "instant diagnosis of availability of selenium" (business incubator, RM. 114) Presentation "Atomic absorption spectrometry in environmental studies" (business incubator, RM. 115)
- A visit to the intellectual center of geoinformation technologies (Presentation "Space research in the GIS center ") (a business incubator, RM. 204)
- Master-class laboratory "Physiology of the child development" ("The rapid testing of psycho-physiological status of a person") (a business incubator, RM. 114)
- Visit immunogenetic laboratory (Presentation "Modern molecular-genetic methods of research") (a business incubator, RM. 108)
- Visit the center for socio-psychological problems (familiarity with the operations of the center. Interactive workshop "Addiction and attachment") (a business incubator, RM. 109)
- Visit of herbarium of Department of Botanical garden research Institute KP ASU (Workshop "Rare and poisonous plants of Adygea") (a business incubator, RM. 103)
- The exhibition of the geological and mineralogical Museum "In the footsteps of travel Maxim Bogatyreva" (business incubator, foyer)
Contact Person: Kukva Elena
Organization: Research Institute of Complex Problems of Adyghe State University
Postal Address: ul. Pervomayskaya, 208
Area Code: 385000
State/Province: Adygea Republic
Country: Russian Federation
E-mail: kukva(at)rambler.ru - niikpagu(at)rambler.ru
Organisation for Educational Resources and Technological Training
Within the framework of the World Science Day for Peace and Development, we are announcing a contest “ORT STEM CUP 2016” among the secondary educational institutions of the World ORT network (http://www.ort.org/).
The purpose of the contest is to increase the motivation of students to STEM education, attract their interest to engineering and technology specialties, as well as encourage the development of engineering and technical creativity of students.
The contest “ORT STEM CUP 2016" will be held in 3 categories:
- Mobile Video Competition "I am the inventor"
- Competition "Island of inventors" for primary school students
- Competition "Island of inventors" for middle and senior grades.
As a result of all three categories Organizing Committee will determine the School-winner to be awarded with the “ORT STEM CUP 2016".
Participant of the contest should be a student of ORT network school and school-partner organizations at the time of the competition.
- The age of participants:
- Mobile Video Competition "I am the inventor" - the age of the participants is not limited within the frames of the one of students of secondary school of World ORT network;
- Competition "Island of inventors" for primary school students - students of the 1st-4th grades and their parents;
- Competition "Island of inventors" for middle and senior grades.
Class supervisors of primary grades, teachers of Technology and Science subjects, experts of ORT centres could be the curators of the contest at school.
For the organization and carrying out of the contest the Organizing Committee is formed, which determines the procedure of the contest, the current documentation, as well as the terms of all stages of the contest and their content.
- The start of the contest (publication) - November 10, 2015
- The works will be submitted no later than April 30, 2016
- In the period from November 10, 2015, till April 30, 2016 the curators of the contest help students in preparing accompanying materials and profiles (on GlobalLab website).
- Period May, 1-21, 2016 – works will be evaluated by the Jury.
- Till May 31, 2016 the results of the contest will be summarized
- Monthly the best work of the month will be determined among the performances submitted for the Mobile Video Competition «I am the inventor" and interim results to be published.
- The winners of each category will be awarded with diplomas and prizes.
- All participants (students, parents and teachers) will receive a certificate of participation.
- According to the results of all three competitions Organizing Committee determines the School-winner to be awarded with the “ORT STEM CUP 2016”. The coordinator of the contest at this particular School will be awarded with the diploma "The Best Coordinator" and with the prize.
- The results of the contest will be published on the website http://www.ort.ru/, and sent as a notification letter to all the heads of educational institutions and centres within the ORT network participated.
Information also is posted on Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ort.stem
The detailed terms and conditions for each category and the instructional materials for teachers for overview classes for the students and their parents can be seen and download at the following links at the site: http://ort.ru/en/projects/current/ort-stem-cup/ort-stem-cup-2015-2016/
Contact Person: Dr. Sergey Gorinskiy
Organization: Organisation for Educational Resources and Technological Training
Postal Address: Novoslobodskaya str., 55, build. 1
Area Code: 127055
Fax: +7 (495) 660-94-22
Tel: +7 (926) 010-28-41
Odesa Regional Council of the Young Scientists, the Young Scientists' Council of Odesa Polytechnic National University
Activity / event planned:
- Popular science lectures for young scientists and students.
- Alexander Klimchuk, Ph.D., associate professor, director of the Center for Technology Transfer ONPU "Energy-efficient decisions in building heating systems"
- Zorilo Victoria, Ph.D. "How are we identify photo-fakes with singular numbers help?"
- Harutyun Aghajanian, Ph.D. "From idea to start-up"
Contact Person: Svitlana Dekina and Oleksandr Limarenko
Organization: Odesa Regional Council of the Young Scientists, the Young Scientists' Council of Odesa Polytechnic National University
Postal Address: Lustdorfska Doroga 86
Area Code: 65080
E-mail: s.dekina(at)gmail.com - aml28(at)mail.ru
Tel: +380639780924 - +380675582617
Archnet (http://archnet.org) is the leading open-access resource on the built environment of Muslim Societies. On Sunday, November 8th, the weekly update to the site will highlight architecture and urban planning designed for the sciences, particularly in relation to science and sustainability. Resources on these topics will be highlighted until at least November 15th.
Contact Person: Michael A Toler, Archnet Content Manager
Organization: Aga Khan Documentation Center at the Massachusetts Institute for Technology
Postal Address: Rotch Libraries, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Area Code: 02139