United Nations launch of the UNESCO Report "World Trends in Freedom of Expression and Media Development"
"World Trends in Freedom of Expression and Media Development" offers a new look at recent evolutions in media freedom, independence, pluralism and journalist safety. The overarching trend observed throughout is one of disruption brought on by technology and to a lesser extent the global economic crisis, with mixed results for freedom of expression and media development. The publication comes at a critical moment for press freedom amid unprecedented opportunities for expression of new voices as well as new forms of restriction, surveillance and control.
- Irina Bokova, UNESCO Director-General
- H.E. Mr Mårten Grunditz, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Sweden to the United Nations
- Lee C. Bollinger, President Columbia University
- Moderated by Joel Simon, Executive Director, Committee to Protect Journalists
- Karin Karlekar, Project director of Freedom of the Press, Freedom House
- Veni Markovski, Vice President, Global Stakeholder Engagement, Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
- Raza Rumi, Writer and public policy specialist, Pakistan
The event will be streamed live at webtv.un.org and tweeted with the hashtags #mediatrends and #pressfreedom.
|Type of Event||Category 8-Symposium|
|Start||09.07.2014 16:00 local time|
|End||09.07.2014 17:30 local time|
|Date to be fixed||0|
|Focal point||Bilello, Suzanne|
|Organizer||UNESCO and the Government of Sweden|
|Contact||Suzanne Bilello (Email: email@example.com, Tel.: +1 (212) 963-4386)|
|Country||United States of America|
|Street||Dag Hammarskjold Auditorium|
|Permanent Delegation Contact|
|Language of Event||English|
|Estimated number of participants|
|Link 1||Official website with the global report and regional overviews available for free download|
|Link 2||Link for live webcast|