Building local capacity to address social impact of deforestation and land and water degradation in Indonesia
Maos, Indonesia © UN Photo / A. Mustofa
The workshop, organized by UNESCO, in cooperation with the Andalas University, will focus on how to build local government and community capacity to address the social impact of deforestation and land and water degradation in Indonesia.
It aims to discuss sub-national policy frameworks conducive to the mitigation of the negative impact of non-sustainable forestry management on communities, and to inform local policy makers about the challenges and opportunities for policy formulation to reduce societal vulnerability to this phenomenon.
A session will feature presentations by local government representatives with regards to sustainable forestry management policy assessment, development and implementation at the sub-national level and with a focus on the most disadvantaged groups and communities.
The social impacts of deforestation and land degradation are strongly interlinked and transversal; the challenge for social policies is to address them in their multidimensional aspects.
The workshop will thus address the following questions:
1. How can we develop local governments’ capacity to address the social impact of deforestation and land and water degradation in Indonesia?
2. How can we improve cooperation between different levels of government with regards to mitigating the social impact of deforestation and land degradation in Indonesia?
3. To what extent can we learn from good practices with regards to mitigating the social impact of deforestation and land degradation in Indonesia?
This workshop will bring together local governments’ officials, experts and development partners to review existing tools and initiatives with regards to reducing the social impact of deforestation and land and water degradation on communities in Indonesia.
It aims to support local governments planning and implementing agencies in improving systems and procedures for administering coordinated and participatory development of policies and programs with regards to forestry management.
The key objectives of the workshop are to:
1. Present local stakeholders with an overview of the existing initiatives with regards to mitigating the social impact of deforestation and land and water degradation in Indonesia, in order to reach a common understanding and to develop a systemic approach to this issue.
2. Produce material on the topic of social dimension of deforestation and land degradation in Indonesia.
3. Develop local governments' action plan and community capacity aiming to mitigate the social impact of deforestation and land degradation.
4. Launch UNESCO project entitled "A sustainable future: Supporting Indonesia's Strategies to Address the Social Implications of Climate Change".
|Type of Event||Category 7-Seminar and Workshop|
|Start||23.04.2014 08:00 local time|
|End||25.04.2014 11:30 local time|
|Date to be fixed||0|
|Focal point||Ahmimed, Charaf|
|Contact||Charaf Ahmimed, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Permanent Delegation Contact|
|Language of Event||English|
|Estimated number of participants||50|
|Link 1||Social and Human Sciences Unit - UNESCO Office in Jakarta|