NHK - World Heritage on the screen
Nippon Hoso Kyokai (NHK) is the only Japanese public radio and television broadcaster. Since 2003, NHK and UNESCO contribute to the promotion and preservation of tangible and intangible cultural heritage and the natural heritage to ensure the transmission of knowledge to future generations and promote cultural diversity.
- Create «Heritage Images Archives», shot on TVHD (high definition TV), a high technology that generates 3D images and a high quality sound;
- Produce and diffuse more than 200 short TV documentaries on tangible and intangible cultural heritage;
- Establish a database to use these images in different projects (DVD, exhibitions, and documentaries addressing broad public or academics). This database should be put on network together with similar databases, enabling an exchange at international level.
- A series of 5-minute documentaries in digital high definition « World Heritage 100 » was produced in cooperation with UNESCO introducing the world heritage sites;
- Image database «Heritage Images Archives Initiative» is from now on available to broad public on the World Heritage website.
- Develop more documentaries on intangible cultural heritage and natural heritage;
- Cover all the World Heritage sites.