United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC)
UNESCO is active in four fields:
- Education, formal and informal;
- Youth, based on an intersectoral approach;
- Media, with specific education to introduce the programmes like “Training in Information and Media Literacy”;
- Migration, through the Management of Social Transformations Programme (MOST).
Spain is funding five intersectoral projects, aiming to strengthen ties between Muslim/Arab and European societies in order to improve mutual understanding:
1. A scientific, philosophical, literary and artistic anthology of Muslim/Arab civilization and its contribution to the revival of Western philosophy and culture. This anthology is designed as an educational tool for teachers, students, or the general public. It presents an intercultural vision of history that unites the Muslim/Arab world and the West;
2. A philosophical look at Muslim/Arab civilization. This entails the production of educational tools illustrating dialogue and exchanges within and through Arab civilization that are intended primarily for secondary school teachers;
3. Fostering cooperation and dialogue among Mediterranean countries. This project includes three activities:
- Organizing joint workshops on migration, carried out by institutions and museums and with the participation of local artists and citizens from the immigrant population;
- Creating thematic visits in museums in order to develop intercultural relations and mutual respect;
- Setting up a common water management project in the Mediterranean zone.
4. Young artists for intercultural dialogue between the Arab and Western worlds. Inspired by the “Artists for Peace” of UNESCO, this project provides recognition and awards to young artists for their creative achievements in favour of Arab/Western dialogue;
5. The Power of Peace Network (PPN) is an interactive platform that harnesses innovative mechanisms to promote peace through media and ICTs. PPN fosters global cooperation for cultural self-expression, mutual understanding, reduction of conflicts, and support of sustainable living.