ERAIFT: Regional Post-graduate Training School of integrated management of tropical forests and lands
Since 2005 and until September 2012, UNESCO and the European Union will extend their support to ERAIFT.
Context of ERAIFT
47 % of all African tropical forest is located in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Facing the lack of qualified personnel to manage sustainably the forest sector of Central Africa, UNESCO created ERAIFT in 1999 at the University of Kinshasa. ERAIFT trains some 30 African specialists from more than 20 countries in sustainable resource management in tropical forests.
As a school ERAIFT is devoted to train a new type of experts who will be able to make right decisions in complex situations and thus improve both the wellbeing of populations and the quality of biophysical environment, two conditions for sustainable development and poverty eradication.
ERAIFT is complementary to the National Institute of Water and Forestry (ENEF) founded 50 years ago in Cap Esteria, Gabon. They have the same long term objective of regional environment management and sustainable development.
1. Enhance the achievements of the training and further promote ERAIFT diploma by obtaining a status of an International School, a Center of Excellency (Category I UNESCO Institute, if so decided by the Executive Board) and recognition of the PhD diploma by CAMES (the African and Malagasy Council for Higher Education);
2. Develop new short-term courses to support the Ministry, such as « Management and Development of tropical forests and territories », « Environmental Governance », more open to the private sector (Professional Master);
3. Set up continuous education and distance education;
4. Initiate cooperation and synergies with international and interregional educational and research networks and the European Institutions, and thus open towards research and development along with other projects;
5. Develop partnership with regional institutions (COMIFAC, RAPAC, CEEAC, CEMAC, etc.), privat forestry sector, environmental NGOs, and development projects;
6. Set up tools for reliable budgetary, financial and accounting management, in order to improve administrative and financial management of ERAIFT;
7. Follow applied research programme in forestry management and biodiversity conservation;
8. Maintain the rehabilitation of buildings and consolidate the property status of the « ERAIFT Campus»;
9. Ensure sustainable funding by innovative mechanisms and a mid-term proactive approach in order to secure financial sustainability of ERAIFT.