The European Union becomes gradually one of the strategic partners of UNESCO. The thematic dialogue and the financial cooperation with the European Commission and EU Delegations at the country level develop, in particular in the areas jointly identified as operational outcomes.
On 8 October 2012, UNESCO and the EU signed a Memorandum of Understanding with a view to enhancing the dialogue, strengthening cooperation and fostering an exchange of best practices.
UNESCO and the EU : Sharing common goals and values
Press release on the occasion of the first anniversary of the Memorandum of Understanding
Examples of Cooperation
- Reducing Disaster Risks through Education and Science in Chile, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru (2013-2014)
- European Union support to The International Task Force on Teachers for EFA
- Support to the Implementation of the Teacher Education Strategy
- Ensuring stability through quality education and skills development for young Syrian refugees in Jordan
- CAWHFI: Forest World Heritage in Africa
- Khan al Wakalat Nablus: Renovation of the site
- Niger River: Sustainable development and river management
- Renovation of the Palacio del Segundo Cabo in Havana, Cuba
- The EU/UNESCO Expert Facility Programme
- Partnerships for Inventorying of Mediterranean Living Heritage (MEDLIHER)
- Novobërdë/Novo Brdo Fortress Revitalization Initiative