The Culture sector continues to ensure that gender equality considerations are fully and strategically integrated through policy advice, advocacy, research and the implementation of normative and standard-setting actions at the global level, as well as with regard to capacity development at country level. UNESCO will strengthen its efforts to effectively and systematically mainstream gender equality considerations in its cultural activities in order to ensure that women and men benefit from equitable opportunities in terms of empowerment, income-generation and cultural participation.
Culture clearly plays a central role in the social and economic empowerment of women. Gender equality will be promoted with a view to contributing to the achievement of MDG 3, through international cooperation and at the national and local levels by focusing on two interrelated objectives:
- highlighting and documenting the role played by women in the development of culture; and
- the impact that cultural development can have on women’s empowerment across cultures and societies.
Further objectives of the sector include:
- integrating gender equality considerations into policies and practices related to cultural heritage conservation;
- enhancing awareness of the gender dimensions of intangible cultural heritage (ICH);
- integrating gender equality into the development and implementation of capacity-building activities for museums;
- women’s active and visible participation in cultural and creative industries increased;
- strengthening gender-responsive policy and strategies to fight HIV and AIDS strengthened.