The project in Mexico seeks to help develop the Spanish language skills and pedagogical practice of multi-grade primary school teachers working in areas where indigenous languages are dominant.
Specifically, the project aims to:
- Create educational resources that are easily and effectively disseminated via mobile phones. The resources emphasize the social practice of language are aligned with formal curricula.
- Strengthen the use and knowledge of Spanish as a second language for teachers working with indigenous and minority-language students.
- Promote dialogue between experts and participating teachers to improve Spanish language pedagogy.
- Encourage exchanges between teachers and build communities of practice.
- Develop a new and cost effective model for teacher development that can be replicated in other areas of Mexico.