ASSISTANT PROGRAMME SPECIALIST SCIENCE POLICY AND BASIC SCIENCES
Consultancy vacancy notice; Duty station: Venice, Italy; Deadline: 4 September 2009
- Post Title: Assistant Programme Specialist
Programme Title: SCIENCE POLICY & BASIC SCIENCES
Duty station: Venice, Italy
Duration of Assignment: 6 months. The post is of a temporary nature.
Deadline for applications: 4 September 2009
Type of Contract: Individual Consultant Contract
Post Level: P2
Probation period: 1 month
Scope of the assignment
Under the overall supervision of the Director of the UNESCO Regional Bureau for Science and Culture in Europe (BRESCE), and the direct supervision of the Programme Specialist in Science Policy and Basic Sciences, the incumbent will contribute to the implementation of BRESCE’s activities in the field of science policy and science education in South Eastern Europe (SEE) and in the Mediterranean area.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The specific responsibilities of the incumbent will be to assist the Office in:
1. mapping of research institutions and centers in SEE
2. monitoring of the activities of SEE Scientific Networks;
3. organizing international and regional science policy related conferences, workshops and related events,;
4. promoting BRESCE’s projects in the SEE countries and international media, through the Bureau IKM Unit, and ensuring high visibility of UNESCO BRESCE activities .
5. drafting correspondance, memoranda, reports of conferences and scientific meetings and carry out relevant research when requested.
6. performing other tasks as requested for the successful implementation of the Programme in accordance with the Programme document.
The incumbent will work under the overall responsibility of the Director of the UNESCO Office in Venice and the direct supervision of the UNESCO’s Programme Specialist Programme Specialist in Science Policy and Basic Sciences, in line with the decentralized nature and modality of implementation of the Programme.
- University degree in the field of science, science policy, economy or related fields of activity;
- possess good theoretical and practical knowlege on European science policy and international scientific co-operation, as well as the specific aspects of science and research in the SEE countries and countries with economies in transition;
- several years of experience in working at European or international level;
- Very good knowledge of the United Nations system in general and UNESCO in particular would be an asset;
- Excellent knowledge of English; good knowledge of French and of one of the Languages of SEE countries would be an asset;
- Very good knowledge of personal networked computers; abillity to work in the local area network.
Conditions of employment
UNESCO’s salaries are calculated in US dollars but mainly paid in local currency. For this post the remuneration for 6 months is USD 17,400 (USD 4,350 monthly). The duration of this consultancy is 6 months, 1 month of probation included.
How to apply
Electronically, by sending application and candidate CV (using UNESCO CV available in the UNESCO Venice Office web, to veniceoffice-dir(at)unesco.org copy to m.de-faveri(at)unesco.org. Applications shall be accompanied by Letter of Motivation that shall not exceed 2 pages.
UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization.