Inauguration of the renovation of the oldest house in Tesanj
The Eminagića konak (house), one of the oldest and finest examples of residential architecture in Tešanj, Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) will be reopened and inaugurated on 19 May 2011 with the presence of high-level local authorities and the international community in BiH. This historic building is a monument of outstanding national value and is located in the center of the town, very close to the Tesanj carsija (market-place). It is not known exactly when it was built, - the style of the masonry, the type and quality of the joints and other building materials, and the treatment of certain structural elements suggest that it could date back to the first half of the 19th century. The first geodetic survey of Tešanj, dating from 1882, shows the building with the same dimensions as today. The Eminagić konak was officially abandoned prior to 1980, and ever since then has been occupied only by temporary tenants.
In the last year and a half, the house was fully reconstructed, inside and out. The rehabilitation of this monument started on 22 September 2009 with the signing of agreements within the MDG-F Joint Programme; at this time UNESCO signed agreements on the rehabilitation of five cultural monuments, according to a list of priorities developed by the Ministry of Civil Affairs of BiH (MOCA) in partnership with the Ministries of Culture of the autonomous entities.
The MDG-F Joint Programme on “Improving Cultural Understanding in Bosnia and Herzegovina” is a 3-year programme financed by the Spanish Fund for the Achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDG-F). It is being implemented by 3 UN Agencies: UNDP, UNESCO and UNICEF, in cooperation with the Ministry of Civil Affairs of BiH, Ministry of Culture and Sports of BiH, Ministry of Education and Culture of RS, as well as other institutions working in the area of education and culture.
Links : Touristic web portal of Tešanj Municipality
<- Back to: UNESCO Office in Venice