Programme Assistant - Project Antenna Office in Tirana, Albania
Vacancy Notice; Duty station: Project Antenna Office in Tirana, Albania; Deadline: 1 June 2010; Country : Albania
Post Title: Programme Assistant
Duty station: Project Antenna Office in Tirana, Albania
Duration of assignment: 6 months (with possibility of short extension
Deadline for applications: 01 June 2010; 17:00 hours
Type of Contract: Temporary: Special Service Agreement.
Post Level: GS-3/L-3
Probationary period: 1 month
Scope of the assignment
The incumbent will be under the responsibility and supervision of UNESCO Venice Office and will provide administrative and programme support to UNESCO’s offices in Venice and Tirana within the framework of UNESCO participation in the One UN Programme 2 rollout and other UNCT joint initiatives in the country.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Operations Coordination Officer (OCO) in Venice and the direct supervision of the National Professional Officer (NPO) in Tirana, the incumbent will perform the following functions:
- Maintain the finance/administrative files in the Project Antenna Office in Tirana in a way so that information is up-to-date and easily accessible;
- Organize mission agendas for UNESCO staff and consultants, including the organization of meetings for travellers in line with their mission objectives;
- Make logistical arrangements for the travel of UNESCO staff and consultants in line with UNESCO procedures, including entering travel requests through the online system for staff travel and following up on their timely approval;
- Prepare correspondence and assemble the necessary documents for UNESCO staff and consultants’ missions;
- Ensure that the relevant partners and authorities (National Commission, Permanent Delegation, UN Resident Coordinator, etc) are kept informed on all UNESCO-sponsored travel in the country;
- Provide assistance in the organization and preparation of meetings, trainings, workshops and seminars, including but not limited to drafting letter contracts, creating one-time vendors in VIP, and following through on payment requests;
- Prepare minutes/proceedings of meetings and events in a professional and timely manner;
- Prepare all payment requests in a timely manner and forward to the UNESCO Venice Office, ensuring that full supporting documentation is available and completed;
- Monitor disbursement of payments to contractors to ensure that payments are reaching the intended beneficiaries;
- Liaise with UNESCO Venice Office Administration Unit on updates and procedural information;
- Assist the OCO and NPO in the preparation of financial progress reports to be submitted to UNESCO and donors, in accordance with the relevant rules of the Joint Programmes and UNESCO;
- Assist the NPO in the communication and advocacy activities of the Antenna office;
- Assist and support the recruitment of contractors for the needs of UNESCO through advertisement of ToRs, gathering of cost-estimates, preparation of contracts, and entering new contractors as vendors in the online VIP system;
- Provide Albanian-English and English-Albanian translation of documents for internal use as requested;
- Assist with monitoring, evaluation or auditing processes as requested;
- Provide other administrative, secretarial and clerical support as required to the Project Antenna and UNESCO Venice offices.
The incumbent will report to and work under the direct supervision of the National Professional Officer (NPO) in Tirana and under the general responsibility and supervision of the Operations Coordination Officer (OCO), based in Venice.
Excellent knowledge of computer use and Microsoft Office programs (particularly Word and Excel);
Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Albanian.
At least 3 (three) years of relevant work experience ;
At least one year of work experience in similar international administrative environments (UN system or UNESCO-specific experience is considered an advantage);
University Degree (degrees in International Relations, Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or similar fields are desirable);
Organized, thorough, and professional;
Ability to use sound judgment and personal initiative;
Demonstrated ability to work in team and independently according to established guidelines.
Conditions of employment
UNESCO’s salaries are calculated in US dollars but mainly paid in Euro or local currency. Monthly remuneration for this position is based on UNESCO standard rates. The initial appointment is for 6 months, including a probationary period of 1 month, and may be renewable subject to satisfactory service and available funds.
How to apply
Applications should be accompanied by a Letter of Motivation that shall not exceed 2 pages.
UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization.