SENIOR PROGRAMME SPECIALIST (BASIC AND ENGINEERING SCIENCES) (EU/RP/ITA/SC/0002) - (P5)
Readvertisement. Vacancy notice. Duty station: Venice, Italy. Closing date : 30 June 2009
Post title : Senior Programme Specialist (Basic and Engineering Sciences)
Organisational unit : UNESCO Regional Bureau for Science & Culture in Europe (BRESCE)
Duty station : Venice, Italy
Grade : P-5
Post number : EU/RP/ITA/SC/0002
Closing date : 30 June 2009
quick link : Notice EU/RP/ITA/SC/0002
| Main responsibilities |
Under the overall authority of the Assistant-Director General for Natural Sciences and direct supervision of the Director of UNESCO Office in Venice - UNESCO Regional Bureau for Science and Culture in Europe” (BRESCE) and in close cooperation with the relevant Programme Divisions at Headquarters, the incumbent will lead, coordinate and manage the UNESCO-BRESCE’s activities in the field of Natural Sciences in South-East Europe. In particular the incumbent will:
- Manage and coordinate the BRESCE Science Team with a view to elaborating the programmes of BRESCE to be financed under the Regular Programme of UNESCO or under the BRESCE extra-budgetary annual programme; coordinate and supervise activities carried out by the science team and develop, manage and execute approved activities in specific fields of sciences defined within the BRESCE programme.
- Be responsible for the elaboration and implementation of regular and extra-budgetary projects and activities of UNESCO-BRESCE in the field of natural sciences, especially in the basic and engineering sciences, including the coordination of activities in the International Basic Science Programme (IBSP) and in regional and country-level science policy development in the SEE countries.
- Support the integration of science into national development strategies and UN Joint programmes (One UN, UNDAF) and the reform of national science and education systems in SEE countries according to EU and international standards.
- Establish, develop and maintain cooperative links with National Commissions and other relevant institutions in SEE such as Academies of Sciences, major national and international scientific and education institutions as well as both governmental and non-governmental organizations in SEE relevant to the development, implementation of the Natural Sciences programmes and assistance for the countries.
- Lead and supervise the preparation of project proposals for extra-budgetary funding in the field of natural sciences and interdisciplinary platforms in co-operation with the relevant units at Headquarters.
- Represent UNESCO and the Office at international and national events, as may be requested by ADG/SC or the Director of UNESCO-BRESCE.
| Profile |
Advanced University degree, preferably at PhD level in one of the basic sciences or engineering.
10-15 years of relevant research and managerial experience in implementing national or international cooperative projects in natural sciences.
At least 5 years of relevant working experience with international organizations.
Professional experience in Europe would be an advantage. Knowledge of the situation of sciences and education in South-East Europe is essential.
Proven leadership skills
Excellent knowledge of English or French and good knowledge of the other language.
| How to apply |
When applying for UNESCO vacancies, please only use the on-line recruitment system at www.unesco.org/employment. Candidates without access to internet may send a paper application by completing the official UNESCO CV form (available at Headquarters, UNESCO Offices, National Commissions in Member States, or any office of a United Nations Resident Representative) in English or French to Chief, HRM/RCR, UNESCO, 7 place de Fontenoy, 75352 Paris 07 SP, France, before the closing date, quoting the post number: EU/RP/ITA/SC/0002.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any question concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of UNESCO and requesting payment of a fee, please contact: Recrutweb(at)unesco.org.
<- Back to: UNESCO Office in Venice