Title : Sustainable Tourism for Rural Development
MDG-F Thematic Window : Private Sector and Development
Signing partners : Ministry of Economy and Regional Development
Source of funds : Spanish MDG Achievement Fund
The Joint Programme (JP) will support national and local institutions to define and implement policy for rural tourism development which will increase economic activity and employment in rural areas in Serbia, with the aim of reducing rural poverty and emigration.
Agencies will implement JP with support of Ministry of Economy and Regional Development, Ministry of Agriculture, and Tourism Organization of Serbia. Interventions will be implemented at national and local level, and will support the development of national policy framework necessary for diversification of rural economy through tourism (Outcome 1); strengthening of local stakeholders' capacity for service delivery and production (Outcome 2); and strengthening local capacity for planning in this field and definition of local products (Outcome 3). JP will primarily contribute to the achievement of MDGs 1, 7 and 8. It will be carried out in 3 clusters of municipalities (target locations) to be selected.
Millenium Development Goals addressed
- Goal 1: Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Goal 7: Ensure environmental sustainability
- Goal 8: Develop a global partnership for development
Budget in USD: $ 4,000,000 | UNESCO Budget as subcontractor : $ n/a | Geographic focus: Serbia | Started : 15 October 2009 | Keywords : sustainable tourism, rural development, UNESCO designated sites, intangible heritage, artisans | End date : 4 December 2012 | Status: closed
15 October 2009 : Official signing ceremony and start date of Joint Programme | 2 September 2010 : UNESCO invited as permanent observer to all PMC meetings |1-2 Dec 2010: UNESCO-UNDP-FAO workshop in Southern Serbia | 29 July 2011: Mid-term evaluation report issued | 25 Nov 2012: Final Evaluation report issued
- MDGF-2068 : Sustainable Tourism for Rural Development
- Additional document : Signed_JP_DevandPS_Serbia_ENG.pdf
- Reports (mid-term evaluation and improvement plan)
- National Rural Tourism Master Plan for Serbia drafted and approved by the Government of Serbia;
- Over 1,000 rural tourism stakeholders were trained through workshops, practical trainings and coaching in programmes mainly concentrating on energy efficiency and sustainable use of natural and cultural resources;
- Partnerships between public, civil and private sectors in four regional stakeholder groups were fostered through all 66 projects granted within Grant Scheme 2011 and executed in the reporting period;
- A Study on Access to Services of Women and Children in Rural Areas has been completed and published.
The boundaries and names shown and the designations used on maps do not imply official endorsement or acceptance by the United Nations.Back to top