Expert Meeting on Current Trends in Linguistic Mapping in preparation of the 3rd edition of the Atlas
30.11.2007 00:00 Il y a : 8 yrs
This Expert Meeting is held to support the preparation of the third edition of the Atlas of the World’s Languages in Danger of Disappearing.
This Expert Meeting is held to support the preparation of the third edition of the Atlas of the World’s Languages in Danger of Disappearing. The meeting is organized and hosted by UNESCO within the framework of its activities under the Endangered Languages Programme and the safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage.
Experts are invited to discuss current trends and innovations in linguistic cartography. This will include discussions of recent experiences and projects in language mapping in various parts of the world, particularly any such projects as have focused on endangered languages but also including others focused on language distribution, dialectology, diachronic mapping, genetic relations or other subjects.
- Background paper (English|French)
- Venue: room XIV, floor -2, Building B (Miollis), headquartersInvited experts
- Prof. Ronald E. Asher, Professor of linguistics & English Language (The University of Edinburgh, UK)
- Ms Kay Dancey, Manager Cartographic Services (Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies - College of Asian and the pacific - The Australian National University, Australia)
Presentation: Our Experience of Linguistic Mapping and Thoughts on its Future Direction (English)
- Prof. Jürgen Handke, Professor of English and computational linguistics (University of Marburg, Germany)
Presentation: Mapping Technologies and Linguistic Tools (English)
- Prof. Suwilai Premsrirat, Professor of Linguistics (Center for Documentation and Revitalization of Endangered Languages - Institute of Language and Culture for Rural Development - Mahidol University, Thailand)
- Dr Mesmin Tchindjang, Cartographer (Département de Géographie - Université de Yaoundé, Cameroon)
Presentation: La cartographie linguistique, traceuse de l’histoire, des civilisations et des cultures: une application au Cameroun (French)
- Ms. Irene Tucker, Cartographer (Summer Institute of Linguistics, UK)
Summary report (English)