Project Officer for STI (Science, Technology and Innovation)
Job Title: Project Officer for STI (Science, Technology and Innovation)
Unit: Engineering Sciences & Technology Unit
Level: NO-A (in the absence of suitable Indonesian candidates a foreign national will be considered)
Contract type: Individual Consultant
Starting Date: Immediately
Duration of Contract: 4 months
Duty Station: Jakarta
Closing Date of Applications: COB of 1 March 2013
Duties and Responsibilities :
Under the overall supervision of the Director UNESCO Office Jakarta and direct supervision of the Programme Specialist for Engineering Sciences & Technology unit, and working closely with the Engineering Sciences & Technology unit and colleagues in the office as a team, The Incumbent shall:
1. To undertake Higher Science Education curricula analysis and policy reviews at Country and Regional levels in the context of Mobilizing Science, Knowledge and Innovation Policies for Sustainable for Post-2015 Agenda
2. To develop policy briefs for member states and intergovernmental bodies such as ASEAN on the use of information and communication technologies to promote the technical cooperation and enhance e-learning opportunities.
3. To review existing framework on education for sustainable development (ESD) and contribute to the implementation through selected university and government partners by devising standardized and modular curricula and joint degree programme for different mode of learning
4. Develop new proposals and search for funding for projects that will address subject linked with the activities of the EST Unit to further the achievement of JFIT activities.
5. Write reports for the Japanese funded project and any potential additional donor for Extrabudgetary projects
6. Participate in meetings related to the EST programme with project partners, with special attention to the Ministry of Science and Technology, LIPI, Ministry of Education (Directorate General of Higher Education) in Indonesia
7. Conduct national and international travels to facilitate reporting on these activities and monitor the implementation of EST Programme
8. Monitor the implementation of the EST Extrabudgetary projects and provide technical backstopping to partners when needed, including monitor the administrative processes requested for the effective implementation of the project.
Deliverables for this task:
1. Monthly reports including the achievements and pending activities for the effective implementation of the EXB projects, together with other related outcome such as:
a. Updated progress reports on the implementation of the current and potential extrabudgetary projects
b. New project proposals
c. Communication materials (articles, brochures, publications) produced during the contract
2. Mission reports supported by invoice for and copy of air-ticket, boarding passes, original receipts for airport tax and other foreseen costs as per the travel plan, when relevant
3. A final report at the end of the contract period summarizing activities completed during the contract and providing recommendations for the further successful implementation of the EST programme
Working conditions and schedule:
- The position will be based in UNESCO Jakarta office, and working hours shall be the normal working hours of the duty station.
Professionalism and Knowledge
1. Strong communication skills, both spoken and written;
2. Strong analytical skills and ability to analyze complex issues;
3. Ability to identify priority activities and assignments and make necessary adjustments as required;
4. Ability to work with minimum supervision, with efficiency, competence, integrity and in harmony with people of different backgrounds;
5. Team player with track proven record in working collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals and ensure timely delivery of results.
Planning and Organizing:
- Well developed planning and organizational skills, with a reputation for being able to multi-task and meet agreed deadlines;
1. Passion to improve project outcomes;
2. Proven history of ongoing learning and development of oneself;
3. Reputation as a team player;
1. Reputation for integrity, openness and respect for diversity;
2. Consistency in the quality of interpersonal relationships.
Education: An advanced university degree (Masters Degree or equivalent) in engineering or sciences from a recognized and reputable university.
Work Experience: At least 3 years of successful relevant professional experience as well as professional record in sciences sector and in programme coordination, preferably in governmental, intergovernmental, or non-governmental agencies. Significant experience in development work with an international organization is an advantage;
Languages: Excellent oral and written skill in English, in particular the ability to draft documents and express views in a clear and concise manner. Excellent working knowledge of Japanese is highly desirable. Good knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia would also be desirable.
a. Strong communication and interpersonal skills, information technology, networking and negotiating skills.
b. Knowledge of UN systems and procedures is an asset.
All applications in English, with the most recent Curriculum Vitae besides the UNESCO Personnel History Form as well as a non-returnable passport-size photo should be addressed to the Finance and Administrative Officer, UNESCO Jakarta, and received by COB 1 March 2013, to one of the followings:
(1) by mail for hard-copy to :
Jl. Galuh II/5, Kebayoran Baru
(2) by email to Jakarta@unesco.org with subject title “Vacancy_Project Officer for STI”
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquiries will be accepted. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. UNESCO reserves the right to accept or reject any application.