2022 International Day for Universal Access to Information (IDUAI) celebration to reaffirm commitment towards the right to information in the digital era
SDG Goal 16, Target 10 calls on us to ensure “public access to information and fundamental freedoms”. As the UN custodian agency for SDG 16.10.2, UNESCO continues to report on the progress of the state of public access to information worldwide. With 8 years remaining before the 2030 SDG deadline, this global event will be a major occasion to reaffirm UNESCO Member States’ commitment to ensure public access to information and protect fundamental freedoms.
The high-level roundtable will look at how to use digital governance and artificial intelligence for the public good, in favor of developing resilient societies and open environment for access to information. The conclusions of the discussions will be summarized in the Tashkent Declaration that will be adopted at the end of the conference.
To assist Member States to deal with these challenges, an updated version of UNESCO’s “Policy Guidelines for the Development and Promotion of Governmental Public Domain Information” and its Open Data Guidelines in support of transparency, innovation and e-governance will be presented.
The global conference will be opened with remarks by:
- Mr Aziz Abdukhakimov, Deputy Prime Minister of Uzbekistan, Chairman of the National Commission of the Republic of Uzbekistan for UNESCO
- Ms Saida Mirziyoyeva, Deputy Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Mass Media Foundation of the Republic of Uzbekistan
- Mr Tawfik Jelassi, Assistant Director-General of UNESCO’s Communication and Information Sector
The High-level roundtable will be moderated by:
- Ms Roli Asthana, United Nations Resident Coordinator in Uzbekistan
With prominent speakers including:
- Ms Blanca Lilia Ibarra Cadena, President Commissioner of Mexico’s National Institute for Transparency, Access to Information and Personal Data Protection (Mexico)
- Mr Hon. Kabbyanga B.K. Godfrey, the Minister of State for ICT and National Guidance, (Uganda)
The panel will be livestreamed on zoom. Please register here
For more information, please visit our website: International Day for Universal Access to Information | UNESCO
Contact for media enquiries:
Jaco Du Toit : email@example.com
2022 International Day for Universal Access to Information
The panel will be livestreamed on zoom.