Call for Expressions of Interest: Strengthening the Management, Promotion and Sustainable Use of Cultural Heritage for Development in Montenegro
The present project proposal is aimed at enhancing effort of the Government of Montenegro and in particular the Ministry of Culture in promoting cultural heritage as a tool for development, and at the same time promoting the role of culture and cultural heritage in advancing the achievement of the SDG Agenda.
The proposed represents a joint commitment of the Government of Montenegro and UNESCO, to work together in advancing the Agenda 2030 and the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals, while at the same time enhancing the protection and sustainable use of the rich cultural heritage of the country.
In accordance with the aforementioned, this project aims at improving the policies and strategies concerning the management of cultural heritage, and at reinforcing its integration within sustainable development programmes and processes. Within this framework, the project will also define priorities for the development of professional and institutional capacities, and propose lines of action as appropriate.
Objectives of the Project:
The project is expected to:
- Support the preparation of the Strategy for development of Cultural Heritage for the period 2020-2025, and of the National Strategy for the safeguarding and sustainable use of cultural heritage
- Review the institutional framework and capacities for the protection and the management of cultural heritage; on this basis, define and implement a capacity-building programme for cultural heritage institutions.
Qualifications and skills
- Corporate Competencies
- Demonstrates commitment to UNESCO mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender equality, religion, age sensitivity, and adaptability.
- Functional Competencies
- Excellent knowledge and demonstrated experience on cultural heritage management and training (specific experience with World Heritage properties is a plus)
- Excellent knowledge and demonstrated experience on the preparation and delivery of training contents and the facilitation of public consultations
- Excellent knowledge of international standards in the field of cultural heritage, and especially UNESCO legal, policy and operational standards in the field of culture
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated negotiation and intercultural communication skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Record on previous record on similar projects/task implemented
- Team leader: PhD, degree or master degree combined with at least 10 years of relevant experience in cultural management, policy development or other relevant subjects
- Team members: Master-level university or equivalent degree in combination with relevant work experience, related to cultural management, policy development, economics or other relevant subjects
- Language Skills
- Excellent knowledge of English
- Proficiency in Montenegrin is desirable
- Experience: For the team leader, at least 7 years of relevant professional experience or 10 years in the case of master level degree, preferably in Montenegro, South-East Europe and/or the EU
- Knowledge of linguistic, social, cultural, and political contexts in Montenegro.
The task is expected to be:
- implemented between June 2020 and February 2021
- completed within the above-mentioned timeframe and, in any case, no later than 28 February 2021
- carried out spending a maximum of 100 working man/days during the above-mentioned implementation period
Expression of Interest and selection criteria
- Expressions of interest, containing the curriculum vitae(s) of consultant(s), and a written description of maximum 5 pages, indicating the technical and financial proposal. Deadline: 25 May 2020.
- Expressions of interest will be selected based on the evaluation of 3 equally important criteria: quality of the technical proposal; qualifications of the expert(s) concerned; and, competitiveness of the financial proposal.
- Those short-listed will be notified no later than one week after the closing date.
- The maximum compensation for this assignment will include fees for a maximum of 100 working days (based on UNESCO standards for individual consultants). The final contractual amount payment will depend on the technical and financial proposal and the applicable UNESCO rules and regulations. At least 5 missions to Montenegro not exceeding 25 days in total are required, the cost of which (i.e. travel and accommodation), should be part of the financial offer. This costs could not exceed DSA rates established by UNESCO according to its policy. The mission days are included in the total experts days mentioned.
- For additional information, if required, please contact Mr. Sinisa Sesum (E-mail: telephone: +387 33 222 796)
- Expressions of interest should be submitted by email, clearly "Strengthening the Management, Promotion and Sustainable Use of Cultural Heritage for Development in Montenegro" to Ms. Maja Nikolic at