Informal meeting of the Council of the International Programme for the Development of Communication (IPDC)
The IPDC is the only multilateral forum in the UN system designed to mobilize the international community to discuss and promote media development in developing countries. The Programme provides support for media projects but also seeks an accord to secure a healthy environment for the growth of free and pluralistic media in developing countries.
The Council is responsible for:
- Policy-making, guiding the planning and the implementation of the Programme;
- Approving priorities of the Programme;
- Reviewing and assessing achievements on the basis of implementation and evaluation reports on the projects and defining the basic areas requiring increased international cooperation;
- Reviewing ways and means whereby Member States might participate more effectively in the International Programme for the Development of Communication;
- Approving an appropriate system of financing for the Programme in order to secure the necessary resources for the benefit of those requesting assistance from the Programme.
The Council normally meets in a regular plenary session once every two years. Extraordinary sessions may be convened as specified in the Council’s Rules of Procedure.