Logo and Patronage
If you need to use the UNESCO name and logo as a UNESCO World Heritage site, a Man and the Biosphere Programme reserve, a Geopark, a UNITWIN chair, a member of the Associated Schools Programme, or an official partner of UNESCO in other capacities, we invite you to contact the concerned Programme Sectors directly to obtain information and permission.
If you are not a member of a UNESCO network but wish to obtain UNESCO’s authorization to use its name and logo for your event or activity, we invite you to apply for UNESCO’s patronage if you consider it eligible.
UNESCO’s patronage is its moral support to an external event or activity that contributes to the Organization’s missions and programmes, and does not involve any financial or in-kind contribution.
- UNESCO’s patronage can be granted to a conference, exhibition, festival or symposium, with an international impact and outreach.
- The event or activity must have defined start and end dates, with a duration of less than 6 months.
- If an event or activity has already received UNESCO's patronage and is held again, a new request must be submitted. Permission to use the logo cannot be extended without UNESCO's authorization.
- UNESCO's patronage cannot be granted if the event or activity has not established its budget, as UNESCO's name and logo cannot be used for fundraising purposes.
- UNESCO’s patronage cannot be granted to competitions, awards, publications, teaching and training materials, audio-visual works, individuals or organizations.
Apply for UNESCO's Patronage in 4 steps
1) Complete the Patronage Request Form
2) Send the completed form to the concerned National Commissions(s) for UNESCO
- Please kindly note that the form must reach the National Commission(s) at least three months prior to the beginning date of the event or activity. The National Commission(s) will undertake an evaluation.
3) If supporting the request, the National Commission(s) will forward it, together with a letter of recommendation, to the Cabinet of the Director-General of UNESCO
- Please Kindly note that UNESCO does not accept requests without a letter of support from the National Commission(s). The only exception is for non-governmental organizations in official relations with UNESCO.
4) The requesting entity will receive the result of its application
- UNESCO or the National Commission(s) will send a letter directly to the requestor.
Request for patronage
The name, acronym and logo of UNESCO have been notified and accepted by the Paris Union Member States under the Article 6 ter of the Paris Convention for the Protection of Intellectual Property.
No individual or organization can use the name, acronym or logo of UNESCO without prior written authorization. UNESCO undertakes all measures against misuse, unauthorized use or fraudulent use of its name, acronym and logo.