Find content
eg: title, city, activity, people
OPTIONAL - Only in:
OR search by:
Questions, Answers and VOD
For content providers

Responsive image

Cidade Velha, Historic Centre of Ribeira Grande


Language: English

The town of Ribeira Grande, renamed Cidade Velha in the late 18th century, was the first European colonial outpost in the tropics. Located in the south of the island of Santiago, the town features some of the original street layout impressive remains including two churches, a royal fortress and Pillory Square with its ornate 16th century marble pillar.


on this subject: WHC documentation about this site


Topics and Tags
Place/region: Cidade Velha, Cape Verde, Africa
Published in:
 



UMVS reference: WHC-1310
Additional info: There is no AV content about this element at the moment