Find content
eg: title, city, activity, people
OPTIONAL - Only in:
OR search by:
Questions, Answers and VOD
For content providers

Responsive image

Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski


Language: English

A landscaped park of 559.9 ha astride the Neisse River and the border between Poland and Germany, it was created by Prince Hermann von Puckler-Muskau from 1815 to 1844. Blending seamlessly with the surrounding farmed landscape, the park pioneered new approaches to landscape design and influenced the development of landscape architecture in Europe and America. Designed as a ‘painting with plants’, it did not seek to evoke classical landscapes, paradise, or some lost perfection, instead using local plants to enhance the inherent qualities of the existing landscape. This integrated landscape extends into the town of Muskau with green passages that formed urban parks framing areas for development. The town thus became a design component in a utopian landscape. The site also features a reconstructed castle, bridges and an arboretum.


on this subject: WHC documentation about this site


Topics and Tags
Place/region: Muskauer Park, Park Muzakowski, Germany, Poland, Europe
Published in:
 



UMVS reference: WHC-1127
Additional info: There is no AV content about this element at this time