How we work
UNESCO is a specialized United Nations agency which deals with Education, Social and Natural Science, Culture and Communication, with a specific objective: to build peace in the minds of men.
UNESCO functions as a laboratory of ideas and a standard-setter to forge universal agreements on emerging ethical issues. The Organization also serves as a clearinghouse – for the dissemination and sharing of information and knowledge – while helping Member States to build their human and institutional capacities in diverse fields.
South East Europe & Mediterranean area
The contribution of UNESCO Venice to the development in SEE and the Mediterranean region aims at improving prosperity and welfare by creating benefit for local citizens through:
A) Enhancing peace and stability by supporting the process of self-sustainability and the promotion of Regional and Cross-Border Cooperation
B) Sharing responsibility by promoting corporate governance and participation
C) Preparing the future through innovation, knowledge and the development of human resources
D) Contribute to the UN reform with expertise and impact-oriented actions in the focus area
Mission & Role
The main focus of the UNESCO Venice Office, as Regional Bureau for Science and Culture in Europe, is to integrate science and culture into the national socio-economic strategies of development of the South Eastern European (SEE) Member States by:
- increasing cooperation and building bridges between EU countries, SEE and the Mediterranean area;
- contributing to the cooperation among Member States in the SEE sub-regions;
- enhancing the building of peace, poverty alleviation, sustainable development and intercultural dialogue.
The role of the Office includes :
- focusing on institutional capacity building through policy advice;
- increasing the competences in the focus area in the field of science and culture;
- affirming or reaffirming the catalytic role of the Office;
- communicating the Office and its activities in the fields of science and culture in the focus area;
- and, creating a corporate image of the Office by focusing on interdisciplinary and inter-sectoral actions.
The Office communication strategy aims at increasing public awareness in selected target audiences:
Member States of SEE countries and the Mediterranean area, and Italy; National Commissions; Governance bodies; Parliamentarians; Decision-makers; Local and regional authorities; Donors; Regional partners; NGOs; Scientific communities; Students; Natural resource managers but also the general public, local communities, youth, and women via communicating Science and Culture in SEE Countries and the Mediterranean area.