Strengthening national capacities for effective intangible cultural heritage safeguarding in selected PALOP countries
The project aims to built national capacity in these Portuguese speaking countries to safeguard the intangible cultural heritage. The project pays particular attention at building a critical level of experience and knowledge, both in government institutions, civil society and in selected communities. Another aim of the project is to prepare a regional cooperation mechanism amongst Lusophone countries in Africa in the spirit of the UNESCO’s Convention for the safeguarding of the intangible cultural heritage.
Concrete outputs of the project include (1) consolidation of capacity for community based inventorying (Angola, Mozambique, Sao Tome and Principe), (2) initial assessment of the needs, revisions of policy or legislative frameworks, a pool of resource persons with knowledge about the implementation of the 2003 Convention (Cabo Verde with the participation of Guinea-Bissau for selected components ), (3) an agreed road map for the establishment of a regional cooperation mechanism, including training of trainers and (4) translation of training materials into Portuguese.
News and activities:
- 27-10-2014 – Workshop in Mozambique: towards a national strategy for the safeguarding of cultural intangible heritage
- 17-10-2014 – Mozambique to develop a national strategy for the safeguarding of its living heritage
- 12-08-2013 – Mozambique: workshop on community-based inventorying of intangible cultural heritage
- 05-08-2013 – Mozambique: workshop on the implementation of the 2003 Convention at the national level
- 02-08-2013 – Capacity-building efforts continue in Portuguese-speaking African countries
- 11-10-2012 – New opportunities for living heritage in Portuguese speaking Africa
- 01-10-2012 – Sao Tome and Principe embarks on an intangible heritage safeguarding project
04-2014/03-2016 – Strengthening the capacities of Suriname and Dutch Caribbean islands for implementing the Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage15-11-2013/15-09-2015 – Safeguarding and promotion of indigenous knowledge associated with the ecological environment of the Black Ha Nhi in Lao Cai Province, Viet Nam